1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my new breeding pens (progress pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Christie Rhae, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Our first coop we built I modeled after half a dozen coop pics that I printed off from this site. We have the little hen house part with the gang plank, installed windows and 8 nest boxes. A year later when half the hens would not sleep inside I realized that those cute little hen houses are for cold weather climates. Here in Hawaii it is simply overkill. The birds prefer to sleep outside with a roof. So I have been designing and redesigning our next big building project. I saw the breeding pens from the GreenFire Farms site and love them. They are in Florida so our weather is probably similar.

We decided to build it 24x12 ft. That quickly went to 30 x 12 and now I am pretty sure we are at 32 x 12. [​IMG]
    We found the spot to build our pens...
    [​IMG]

Started leveling and filling with one of our most abundant resources here in Hawaii... cinder, except for lava rock of course. yay volcanic island [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we changed our mind and decided to put it here...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was thinking of having four pens that are 6 x 12 and two 4 x 12 pens. Then decided to go instead with one 8 x 12 instead of two 4 x 12's.
    Here we have all the concrete form boards cut and nailed together. Next they will be staked into place and we can order concrete after my husband runs water pipes to each pen.

I will add more pics as soon as there is progress. This week I hope!!!
    [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Looks great!

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Looks great.

4. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Update: The concrete has been poured! yay!
    [​IMG]

5. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    [​IMG]

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]

7. michelleshenhouse

michelleshenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    [​IMG] cant wait to see it finished!!

8. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Update: We pulled the wooden form boards off today and I had the kids (ages 18 to 3yrs) help me get a lot of the rocks out and rake everything level. The kids loved picking up rocks on New Years Day! [​IMG] Hard work is good for them tho they do not agree [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SD_Paulo

SD_Paulo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    Looking good keep up the good work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by