My new Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco - HATCH! pg. 6 (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raindrop, Mar 23, 2009.

1. raindrop

raindrop Songster

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Did you have it set as the manual instructs? Both chambers with water? Vent open 50%? I went to Walmart today but I looked in the pet section and couldn't find it, did not think to look in hardware. I actually think for my washed duck eggs I want the humidity at about 50%.
    I need to measure my humidity!!

2. bigjohn

bigjohn Songster

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    Your pictures and comments made me order an Eco also! Cannot wait to receive it. I got it without the auto turner. Seems like a simple, small, quiet, and easy to use bator.

Please keep posting your progress and experiences with yours and how it is holding heat/humidity.

3. jensaisquoi

jensaisquoi In the Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    Yeah I ordered mine last week and it's supposed to be here on Monday! yippeeee. Nice to see the pictures!

I'm trying to hatch shortcake's Dellie eggs and the last time was a wash (I think from bad weather and shipping weirdness)...but i find it very IRONIC that since my borrowed LG knows I am getting the Brinsea it is holding a perfect temp for the last three days. I mean, what other explanation could there be? It must know...

All of us who succumbed to the temptation of the cheap incubator should start a thread about our new incubator adventures...

or is there one???

best,

jen

4. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have a brinsea pro 20 and its great at holding temps. I have gotten to where I dont even look at it any more. Mine also has the auto humidity module and once I get that right, I don't look at it either. I just keep an eye in the water in the bottle and fill it when it gets low. I love this thing. And I have great hatches too!

5. pascopol

pascopol Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I am setting my Brinsea ECO tomorrow with some shipped eggs, and of course myown eggs to get an honest handle of its performance.

6. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    So, I am seriously considering ordering one of these as my first incubator. I feel overwhelmed by all the information out there on incubators and hatching out poultry! [​IMG] At this point, my question is how do you measure the humidity with the hygrometer? Do you have to open up the incubator? Also, how do I decide whether or not to shell out the extra clams for the turner? And, can I incubate turkey and chicken eggs together? This feels soooooo huge!

Thanks!

7. dgkatz

dgkatz In the Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Hi, Where did you find a ECO 20 for $99??

thanks

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    I just went to check their site to give you a link but it looks like the 20 ECO special is over.
    I see others in the web specials section but the Brinsea Eco 20 is gone.

I bought the 20 Advanced myself because I wanted the digital readouts for both temp and humidity.

Keep an eye on their site, maybe they will bring back the special

9. fog6082

fog6082 Hatching

Apr 2, 2009
    Just found this forum today while researching the Brinsea 20 eco. Thanks for all the pics and posts you pushed me over the edge and I ordered one with an autoturner. It's replacing an old Lyons that we bought off ebay quite a few years ago. You folks have quite a nice little forum here.

10. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Welcome to BYC [​IMG]
    Make sure to check in at the Newbies section and introduce yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: