My New Chi Puppy!!!!!! Whooo hooo Tharrell!

Now that I'm done giggling at "weinerhuahua" I can finally say, "he's soooo cute!" I grew up prejudiced against Chis because I had a great-great aunt who had two that hated kids. I was terrified of them. I worked for a vet for 3 years and after meeting some that were calmer, even at the vet's, I pretty much got over it. I was just afraid I'd hurt them when holding them for the vet. I'm used to big dogs! Does he have a name yet, or did I miss that. (Just catching up!)

Quote:
Way too cute! She looks like she's swimming in it, lol! Oh, and I LOVE CHOCOLATES!!! I have a chocolate tri male, and a chocolate spotted on white female that produce the prettiest chocolate Irish marked babies ever! And come on, who doesn't love chocolate anyway....
wink.png

Oh, and I believe she named him "Max". Correct me if I'm wrong....

Quote:
Yes, believe me I know that! After training dogs for over 12 years I usually whole heartedly go against harnesses for that very reason.
I was adamant with Max that from the day I got him I was going to start training him how to act and so far it has paid off already. I had the advantage because when he left the breeder he had NEVER even had a leash on! So I taught him from that very first day that if you pull on the leash Mommy will make like a tree and we won't be going anywhere until you return to proper position at her side. He was very insistant on walking on my right at first so I had to take a couple of days to clear that up but he is just beautiful on leash! If he gets 3" in front of my left leg all I have to do is slow down and he gets right back in position.
I have had him what? 10 days and I have only had to verbally correct him for anything he's done and that was chewing on a toy of my kid or chasing my cat and a strong Ehhh Ehhh is all he needs.
I have started crating him for periods during the day and at first he was horribly screaming to get out (he had never been crated before either) but I just ignored him like I usually do with puppies and now he will go into his crate on his own with the door open and take a nap, when he's not following my every move!

My husband was amazed yesterday when I had him outside in the backyard off leash, he still never left my left leg, figure eights, runs and abrupt stops, he's right with me.
Now to work on auto sits when I stop!

I have never had a CKC registered dog before, do they do obedience trails like AKC? I am thinking he might be a very good dog for it. The focus he shows me and the intelligence is mindblowing. I never figured such a small dog to be so smart.
I know you can register a dog AKC by sending in pictures and stuff. I might just go for it if he continues to be such a good dog. I would LOVE to do some musical freestyle with him!
I have trained so many dogs. My lab who is my retired Service Dog and now a reader dog at local libraries knows over 100 commands easy and can do some really neat stuff. But even he wasn't like Max as far as speed of picking things up and focus. Reese (my lab) was always pretty hard to motivate unless food was involved. Gryffin (my Newfoundland) is not food motivated at all but is very toy driven. Max seems to work for anything whether it's food, toys, even just affection. I love his upeat attitude about everything too, it really lifts me up.
The thing I love most about him is that no matter what he acts like I hung the moon. He wants nothing more than to be with me every moment of every day. I have never had a dog ever that was that devoted to me. If this is a preview of what's to come in the next (hopefully) 15+ years, I am in for a real treat!
love.gif

So cute!

We have a litter of 4 puppies, 3/4 Chihuahua and 1/4 MinPin. They are so sweet, 6 weeks old today.

katiebelle is keeping 3 and we(Felicity) is keeping the 4th.

Gotta love those adorable puppies!

Quote:
Yup, his name is Max! I know, really original right?
Maximillion, Maxwellhouse, Maxwell Smart (my fav) it depends on my mood!
I really picked the name because I was singing one of my favorite songs (Relax Max by Dinah Washington) and he went crazy being what I now call a "wigglebutt"...
So he became Max.

Here's the song:
The vid stinks but the song is there...

I'm not sure about the CKC events, but I'm sure they probably have some. I know that for agility, if your dog isn't AKC reg, you can get them some kind of crazy limited type registration just for them to compete in agility. They might make them do a DNA test, not sure. I bet they have something similar to that for obedience. Plus there are always shows that anyone can enter as well.

It's funny because any dog I have as a puppy, either that I bred or bought, pick up on training so quickly. But any dogs that I got as older dogs (Rocky at 5 mos, and Hunny at 1.5 yrs) are actually afraid of the training process. I tried to clicker train both of them and they ran from the clicker. They are both EXTREMELY shy though. I've gotten as far a sit with them, besides potty, kennel, and other "non obedience" things. The last puppy I placed at 14 weeks was 100% potty trained (pee pad, litter trained, and outside trained), kennel trained, and knew all the basics; sit, down, stay, come, and heel. Makes you wonder sometimes about the breeders that don't work with their puppies at all.

Back
Top Bottom