My new chooks have decided to not return to the coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FeatheryFriend5, Jan 8, 2015.

1. FeatheryFriend5

FeatheryFriend5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Hi Everyone,
    Okay so recently I got 4 new chickens (Cotton-Tail, Penny, Pickles and Dippy) Anyway they've been introduced to the other girls and they seem to be getting along nicely (well except for a few pecks here and there). However when night comes, instead of following the other chooks back to the pen, they decide to cuddle up elsewhere. At first I just let it go thinking it was a one time thing but oh no, It's been a week now and they're still refusing to head back to the coop at night. I've never had this problem before so if anyone could help me out that would be most appreciated :)

[​IMG]
    ^
    That's my problem .-.

2. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    Pick them up and place them in the coop every night until they learn. If you don't do anything, it will only encourage them and they generally learn within two weeks, but some can take longer.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How much roost space do you have?
    Maybe put up another roost just a tad lower than the main roost for the newer chooks.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    They look young. They probably aren't ready to roost at night and still find comfort and heat sleeping in a pile on the ground. Just shoo them into the coop at night. Put some straw or hay down on the ground in a corner for them to settle down on. They'll figure it out.

5. FeatheryFriend5

FeatheryFriend5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Thank you :) Fingers cross that they'll figure it out soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by