My New Coop!!-It's Done!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mylilchix, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We picked up my new bantam coop this weekend. It's a really nice playhouse with electrical already wired. We only paid $75 for it!! It's 4'x6', I'm going to turn it into a bantam coop. It needs a new door and window. One section of siding needs to be replaced, so I'll insulate that side. The east side sits against my existing coop and I'm going to build a third coop on the back side of it. I think that'll protect the sides that aren't insulated from the wind. How much roost space should I add, it can max out at 12 bantams.

[​IMG]
    Front Door

[​IMG]
    Inside

[​IMG]
    Side View

Sonja

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Good job

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That's a great deal on a coop that size! All it needs is a little TLC and it will be perfect!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice ! I want to see it finished, that is such a cute place!

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'd say 2 along the 4' side at same height.

6. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the roost info! We've just started getting bantams, so I'm not as familiar with their space needs as I am with the standards.

They'll have a very roomy run once it's finished. It'll end up being about 8'x8'. These guys will be safe, one side of the run backs up to our dog run, and the rest of it is within our llama pasture. I'm no taking any chances with anything trying to get to these babies.

Tomorrow, I plan on bleaching the interior and letting it sit a few days before I put a new floor in, fix the door and window, and add the roosts. My oldest bantams are 13 weeks old, so I have a bit of time to finish the nest boxes. The roo started crowing so hubby wants them out of the house ASAP!

The roof needs some minor repairs because it beat on while trying to bring the coop to it's resting spot. The thing weighs at least 400lbs., so it was hubby and his tractor that moved the thing. That was a sight to see!! The coop was dropped few times, but held up beautifully.

I'll post new pics of the progress soon.
    Sonja

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

9. cluckylisa

cluckylisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Central Minnesota
    What a score! Good for you.

10. Eggzactly