My New Coop!!-It's Done!!!

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
We picked up my new bantam coop this weekend. It's a really nice playhouse with electrical already wired. We only paid $75 for it!! It's 4'x6', I'm going to turn it into a bantam coop. It needs a new door and window. One section of siding needs to be replaced, so I'll insulate that side. The east side sits against my existing coop and I'm going to build a third coop on the back side of it. I think that'll protect the sides that aren't insulated from the wind. How much roost space should I add, it can max out at 12 bantams.

11768_march2009_071.jpg

Front Door

11768_march2009_073.jpg

Inside

11768_march2009_074.jpg

Side View

Sonja

Last edited:
Thanks for the roost info! We've just started getting bantams, so I'm not as familiar with their space needs as I am with the standards.

They'll have a very roomy run once it's finished. It'll end up being about 8'x8'. These guys will be safe, one side of the run backs up to our dog run, and the rest of it is within our llama pasture. I'm no taking any chances with anything trying to get to these babies.

Tomorrow, I plan on bleaching the interior and letting it sit a few days before I put a new floor in, fix the door and window, and add the roosts. My oldest bantams are 13 weeks old, so I have a bit of time to finish the nest boxes. The roo started crowing so hubby wants them out of the house ASAP!

The roof needs some minor repairs because it beat on while trying to bring the coop to it's resting spot. The thing weighs at least 400lbs., so it was hubby and his tractor that moved the thing. That was a sight to see!! The coop was dropped few times, but held up beautifully.

I'll post new pics of the progress soon.
Sonja

Back
Top Bottom