My new coop :)

AtHomeDaddy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Austin, TX
A neighbor had to tear down a brand new, poorly constructed two story deck. The new carpenter wanted nothing to do with any of the mess that the last guy left behind, including the framing materials.

Everything that was destined for the scrap pile ended up in my yard
smile.png
and I have started building my "dream coop".

P1100155.jpg

P1100149.jpg

Here in Austin, Texas, I am more worried about ventilation and keeping the air moving in the coop during the summers than about the few really cold days we might get each winter, so I am going to have the welded wire around the lower 18" of each wall and making up a good portion of the front wall.The wire and corner posts I bought new. The rest of this coop is built out of recycled lumber.

I haven't decided what type of roof I will use, so I still have to frame and install the roof. But I may just go with a tarp for a while. Once I get the rest of the wall panels and wire installed and build the door, our 7 hens will be living in style!

Last edited:
it looks lovely so far! Wow!!! You are so LUCKY!!!!! We are buying a little wood per paycheck since lumber is so pricey (we're broke-any extra anything is pricey LOL). Good luck!!!

Thanks guys.

My 6 year old daughter helped me build the gate for the coop today and we finished installing the siding and wire on the side walls. Still trying to decide what type of roof I am going to put on, so I'll probably go with a tarp or shade cloth for a while. It won't keep the rain off the birds, but I am not convinced that it is ever going to rain again...
lol.png

More pics tomorrow. Finished too late to take any pictures tonight.

I decided on a sheet metal roof and I got the roof framed up and installed about 2 minutes before it started to rain! A couple of my birds wandered in as I was finishing up, so they are out there exploring the new digs. I'll wait to get a few new pictures after the rain. But I am hoping it rains for a couple of days!

That is one great design, and you really lucked into that free wood--congratulations on that!! I think, considering the shade and vegetation, your birds should be very comfortable.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom