My new "entire bag at a time" feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nuzzy, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Allegan, MI
    I had a 4" PVC feeder that worked alright... But I never did get the angles on it correct and it wouldn't self feed; pair that with it's insufficient volume and I was looking for a change. I had at one point seen a picture here where someone had made a feed box hopper style with a slanted back which could hold larger volumes of feed and finally decided to try it. Using materials I had laying around, here's what I came up with.

[​IMG]

The back portion is slanted (attached to angled cleats which are fastened to the sides) which should allow the feed to self feed towards the opening.

[​IMG]

It will easily hold the entire 40# bags of pellets I've been using, so no more having to replenish the food every day! Of course I'll still go in the coop daily, but at least it's one less task in the morning before work [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The peaked top rests on cleats fastened to the sides and will hopefully dissuade perching on top.

[​IMG]

If nothing else, it looks kinda cool [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] COOL FEEDER!! [​IMG]

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Wow that is gorgeous!! great job!!

4. 2many2count

2many2count Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Illinois
    :thumbsupyou did a nice job...thanks for the pics

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    very nice! I want one!

6. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    Awesome! I want one too!

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Very nice!!! But I do think they will still try to sit on top... mine sit on everything... [​IMG]

8. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Allegan, MI
    Quote:Maybe. I suppose some things are unavoidable [​IMG]

At least most of their waking hours are spent free-ranging outside, and their roosts are quite a bit higher.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yup, they will sit on it. I have a doghouse with a similarly slanted roof, and it's a favorite roosting spot. meh.

Now, perhaps, if you cut a piece of that old PVC feeder lengthwise and covered the top of the feeder with it it might be too slick for them to want to hang out up there. Just an idea, I've never tried it, but since you probably have it laying around anyway.....[​IMG]

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Very nice, but I do see one problem that may occur. To keep them from raking it out or flinging you may want to add a lip on the front and some slats going front to back across the feed trough.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by