My new feathered friend!

New Chick On The Block

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2021
So I am the proud new owner of a gorgeous, but really quite cheeky chic! She found me, or rather I found her wandering around the carpark where I work! My son and I have fallen in love with her - she’s very friendly - sits on my shoulder - talks ALOT…!!! I had chickens growing up and would love to do the same for my son! I’m probably going to have a few questions - but first being - what breed is she (I posted this in questions) but also - does she need a friend? Would a Silkie chick be a good companion? 😊
446A2DEC-EC81-410D-BCCF-77FAD7681E55.jpeg

So I am the proud new owner of a gorgeous, but really quite cheeky chic! She found me, or rather I found her wandering around the carpark where I work! My son and I have fallen in love with her - she’s very friendly - sits on my shoulder - talks ALOT…!!! I had chickens growing up and would love to do the same for my son! I’m probably going to have a few questions - but first being - what breed is she (I posted this in questions) but also - does she need a friend? Would a Silkie chick be a good companion? 😊View attachment 2906499
That's so sweet!:loveIt's nice to see another chicken mamma joining the BCY flock! She is loving on you because she is lonely (and since she was in a car lot, probably shocked too).
She looks like an Australorp, which can be a very sweet and broody (motherly) breed. How many chicks (silkies are good) you should get to keep her happy should depend on the size of your yard and if you have a coop- and what capacity it has.
What are you feeding her? If you don't have chick crumbles (you can get that from Tractor Supply or Orscheln's farm & home) then you can feed her scrambled eggs and water (someone else suggest, I don't know anything else!:oops:)
Also, where are you keeping her? A large cardboard box will do if anything. Pine shavings or newspaper at the bottom, and make sure she is drinking.
One more thing... What is her name?:jumpy

That's so sweet!:loveIt's nice to see another chicken mamma joining the BCY flock! She is loving on you because she is lonely (and since she was in a car lot, probably shocked too).
She looks like an Australorp, which can be a very sweet and broody (motherly) breed. How many chicks (silkies are good) you should get to keep her happy should depend on the size of your yard and if you have a coop- and what capacity it has.
What are you feeding her? If you don't have chick crumbles (you can get that from Tractor Supply or Orscheln's farm & home) then you can feed her scrambled eggs and water (someone else suggest, I don't know anything else!:oops:)
Also, where are you keeping her? A large cardboard box will do if anything. Pine shavings or newspaper at the bottom, and make sure she is drinking.
One more thing... What is her name?:jumpy
Ahhh thank you! That’s really helpful - I wondered if she might be an Australorp…She’s been named Cherry! We’re in the UK btw - and I got her some chick crumbs from the pet store. She’s also enjoying sunflower seeds, mealworms and the odd raisin! She loves egg yolk too!! I’m currently keeping her in the kitchen in a dog crate, but now have a large rabbit hutch to move her into - although thinking I should bring her in at night as we’re heading into winter…? I wonder if she might be aggressive towards a newcomer seeing as she now thinks she rules the ‘roost’ in our house?!

Ahhh thank you! That’s really helpful - I wondered if she might be an Australorp…She’s been named Cherry! We’re in the UK btw - and I got her some chick crumbs from the pet store. She’s also enjoying sunflower seeds, mealworms and the odd raisin! She loves egg yolk too!! I’m currently keeping her in the kitchen in a dog crate, but now have a large rabbit hutch to move her into - although thinking I should bring her in at night as we’re heading into winter…? I wonder if she might be aggressive towards a newcomer seeing as she now thinks she rules the ‘roost’ in our house?!
Your welcome for the help- she has such a sweet name! You are doing a good job with food right now, but as she gets older try not to give her as many snacks or she might get lazy and fat and stop foraging. (Also make sure the sunflower seeds are unsalted!)
Yes, you can bring her in when it gets cold- a hutch won't keep her very warm. But only until she grows all of her feathers (she will puff her feathers to circulate heat) or until she gets flockmates (then they'll share heat), then she will be able to keep warm enough as long as she has water.
The new chicks will get picked on a bit, but if you get between 3-6 (depending on how big the hutch is) then there will be more of them and she should gradually get friendler towards them and be okay.
When I introduce new chicks into my flock, they tend to stick together so they might ignore her for a bit, but she will be the 'Big Mamma' (as we say :)) or flock leader.

Back
Top Bottom