My new hens, once again attacked

chrisy3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Monterey Bay, Ca
You would think I would have learned from my last horrific experience of a dog knocking down my fence and killing two of my hens. I finally broke down and got 4 new hens, Pheonix mix and Orpington mix they say(?) I have had them 10 days, the last 2 days I have let out WITH ME in the yard and today something spooked them and two flew over the fence into the dreaded dog zone. A small dog was ripping 'Baby' to pieces before I got to her. I have her inside in a kennel with water and food, shes pretty tore up but we put neosporin on her and have her in the house, im hoping she'll be ok. The other Pheonix flew over the fence and kept on going! My lord she flew several hundred yards I think. I spent hours searching to avail
sad.png
A neighbor spotted her a street away but its dark now so I finally gave up.

I have learned I NEED to cut my girls wings if I am going to let them out with me , thats If I EVER let them out again.This time it was my fault, and I feel horrible! Does anyone know what the chances of 'Scratch' my Pheonix coming come are??? Again I have had them 10 days and for the most part they have been inside their 20x15 run. Im going to go check on Baby on....ugh...I cant lose another girl it would just kill me!
Thanks for letting me vent
very sad in Salinas tonight
sad.png

Thanks Shellie,
I think I just needed to vent tonight, I just checked on her and she is alert and snuggled up in a pile of shavings inside her kennel. Im keeping my fingers crossed and I am online learning how to clip wings just in case I do let them free range again.

Thanks for the kind thoughts
smile.png

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
I just wanted to follow up with my Phoenix named Scratch came home about an hour ago!!!!! I cant believe it! I have already clipped her wings and shes back in with her sissys. My little one is also healing. I gave her a saline wash today and sprayed her with Bactine for pain and antiseptic, so far so good. Im keeping my fingers crossed she keeps on healing.

Back
Top Bottom