My new momma!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akpeeps, Oct 10, 2011.

1. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    So, about 3 1/2 wks ago my only lavender Orpington pullet, Vivian, disappears. I'm thinking the fox we've had problems with earlier in the summer was back and now I'm on a mission...the fox WILL die. [​IMG]
    For the next week or so, everytime the chickens fussed about something I'm running outside with the shotgun. Then one evening, I catch a glimpse of Vivian with the other hens...or so I thought at the time. I go out and can't find her. Did I just her ghost? [​IMG] This goes on for a few more days...I think I see her but can't find her when I go out to look.
    Now I'm sure I'm going crazy and she's haunting me, but go out and search every nook and cranny that a chicken could be on 4 acres. No Vivian....until.... one morning I'm getting a cup of coffee and see the girls at the feeder. Wait! I see 3 gray butts! (I have 2 blue Orp hens too) It is Vivian! [​IMG] I go out and check just to make sure. Yep! She's there! I keep a close eye on her and follow her to her hide out. Of course, it's where I've looked a couple of times before. [​IMG] and lo and behold...12 eggs. Why didn't I see them before? [​IMG] She buried them. It's been in the 30's at night so
    I collected her and the eggs and brought them inside and put them in a kennel in my laundry room. I candled them and all but two were more than half way along and I just couldn't throw them out. A little over a week later....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Viviane is VERY proud of herself! She'll be a year old next week
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final count: 10
    6 black split and 4 lavenders

2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    WOW way to go Vivian! What beautiful lavendar and black babies you have!!

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    They are adorable! Congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    yay go vian is she bantam

5. akpeeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Quote:No, just petite [​IMG] All of the birds out of her hatch were small and she's not quite a year old yet

6. AllyRodrigues

AllyRodrigues Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    So Adorable!!!

7. akpeeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Here's proud poppa, Bert the Conquerer. Black split Orp

[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what a great story with a happy ending. Go mama, what a great broody. That sly rascal. Beautiful family - you really struck gold.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    AKpeeps ps my gosh you can have Ibizan hounds in your climate.? Do you make oloar jacket for them with hoods? I bet they huddle with the keeshond and the pyrenees

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What a great ending! Such cute fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by