My new obsession

whitmich

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
There are 11 Rhode Island Red hens prowling my yard, plus one rooster of the same breed. All of these chickens are roughly 6 or 8 months old by my estimation. I purchased them from a neighbor who buys and sells a variety of animals and I failed to ask him their exact age. We bought them in two phases: 6 hens originally and then, a few months after, several more hens and the rooster. Unfortunately, all of the chickens in the second group purchased were ill. I didn't have enough experience to notice their condition at the time of purchase. Two of those hens died in the following month and all of my chickens ended up with a respiratory illness. I treated them with Sulmet last month, but their condition didn't improve. Last week, my order of Denegard arrived and today marks the third day following treatment. All of them have clear nostrils for the first time in months and I hear hardly any sneezing. Denegard did the trick, which leads me to the conclusion that they were suffering mycoplasmosis. I thank members of this forum for their conversations regarding mycoplasma-related illness and treatment options because they were my main source of information.
Tractor Supply reeled me in over the last two weeks; I now have 19 baby chicks and 8 ducklings. There are 14 Barred Rocks, 5 Cornish Rocks, 2 Pekins, 3 Rouens, and 3 Khaki Campbells. (I have a very large front and back yard, a large pond within 100 yards of my house, plus over one hundred acres of farm land surrounding me--my flock has plenty of space!) I am raising all of the babies in large plastic totes inside my house and they are quite happy, it seems. The ducklings have just gotten brave enough to eat out of my hand. The chicks are very brave and attack my fingers whenever I place my hand within their brooder. I love the baby Barred Rocks because of their inquisitive nature and boldness. The Cornish Rocks, on the other hand, are very lethargic. I understand their purpose as mainly meat birds and this saddens me--they are bred so exclusively for this purpose that many of the characteristics we treasure in our backyard flocks have been lost. I will not purchase this breed again.
I do have a history of raising chickens. In 2007, I purchased 6-8 mature Rhode Island Red hens from the same seller mentioned above, as well as five chicks of various breeds. Several of these ended up hatching and raising their own babies. At that time, I did not have secure-enough housing for them and I lost the entire flock to hawks and foxes and coyotes and who knows what else. That was devastating and prevented me from adding chickens to my family for several years.

Greetings from Kansas, whitmich, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! I am glad the sick chickens ended up with you - you sound very conscientious and knowledgeable. Best of luck with your new flock of fowl - may you be blessed with none of the issues you had with the RIRs! Glad you are back in the poultry game!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom