My new Polish girl

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mamabigbird, May 24, 2012.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    OMG ... I've always loved those ridiculous hairdos ... now I have my own bobble-head hen.
    I knew she reminded me of someone, and then it came to me!
    Edith Prickley, a character played by Andrea Martin on a 70's comedy called SCTV.
    So her new name is Miss Prickley.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. crumptz

crumptz Chirping

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    That's great! I had one that was black with a white crown... we named her Cruella de Vil!!!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Crowing

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Don't make fun of her feathers, I think they're pretty!

5. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Oh I think she's gorgeous ... but ... I also think she is a bit goofy too.
    She looks like a bobble- head when she walks and she is quite flighty and aloof. (acts like she's too fancy for her flock) LOL.
    I love her though. I love all my chickies.

6. Cantonmentchickenmama

Cantonmentchickenmama In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Cantonment, florida
    I have one black and white polish named Elivira. My husband loves her! I think she is a bit creepy because I cannot see her eyes.

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    If you can't see her eyes under all that fluff how will you know if Elvira is giving you the dreaded "stink-eye" stare?
    Yikes that would be creepy. LOL

8. Cantonmentchickenmama

Cantonmentchickenmama In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Cantonment, florida
    I have two coops one for the adult hens and the smaller one I use for my nursery. When the chickens are out free ranging I open up both coops up. When I went out this evening to put the chickens up for the evening; Elivira was is the nursey on the roost. I picked her up and moved her afro back so I could see her eyes. She really is a sweet hen, but creepy none the less when you cannot see her eyes!

9. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have 2 pens also. One (the nursery )is a section of the bigger one (main coop) and I have a broody/mom in there with two hatchlings ( hatched on May 14th)
    At what age do you let your young ones start to free range with the older ones?
    Does the momma hen protect her babies from the other hens and does she then bring them back to their nursery instead of the big coop?
    I have never raised babies with a broody before so I'm not sure how it goes.
    I have raised chicks in a brooder and then placed them in the nursery pen until they were about 12 weeks or so before moving them to the big coop.
    I would appreciate any advice on integrating momma and babies.

10. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    She's so cute! I see the resemblance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: