My new Pressure Canner!!!//Canning with propane

PeggySue

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
wee.gif

My new Presto 16qt pressure cooker/canner just arrived!!!
~~just barely though, my garage door was up and my Jeep in the garage and the UPS guy jumped out of his skin when I opened the front door and said "don't scare me like that!!".... I thought it odd that someone who makes a living delivering to homes should be frightened of a door opening....then he said "where yo dogs?".... I said in the living room and he said "I gotta go 'fore I git bit".....and took off.
My dogs have never bitten anyone, and they weren't even at the door. I said to his retreating back "Umm, don't I have to SIGN for this??" he said "No ma'am" and kept on a-truckin'...Good grief!!!!~~~
hide.gif

Anyway, back to my point::: My first canner is here!! I am excited about learning something new!!
ya.gif

The "ugh!" thing is that I have daydreamed about how I am going to use it on my patio with propane, even heard from others who do the same.....but there is a yellow warning sticker saying not to use any outdoor heat source such as a gas burner for a turkey fryer with this canner.
th.gif

Now, is that like the warning sticker on mattresses? Sorry, but I tear those off even at the risk of going to prison for it..... I don't know if it's just modern legal paranoia and they HAVE to issue these warnings, or if there is an actual reason this canner cannot be used in that fashion....
barnie.gif

I have been looking forward very much to some patio canning and it will really tick me off if I can't!!!
somad.gif

I ignore a lot of warning labels that are designed to protect idiots from themselves, but this is something totally new to me and I don't approach it carelessly. But I am thinking it's just an idiot warning........
idunno.gif
??????

i dont think propane and city gas would make too much of a difference. Just dont get too high of a heat level to heat the canner up.

Congratulations!

The hard part w/ a pressure canner is keeping the temp constant so that the contents of the jars don't get pushed out of the jars. It's tricky. I have to keep my kitchen door shut (wah!) when I pressure can so that I can control the temp best. I may try some canning outside this summer on a propane burner but will be prepared to re-process if necessary.

My stove is an old electric coil burner stove.

Oh canning - I just bought my first pressure canner too!!!!

I will be watching to learn and see - the stuff that I have read has me somewhat scared due to "acid levels" and what not.

Good luck with your new canner!

Pop over to the "what are you canning now" thread!

Also, check out the website for "National Center for Home food preservation" at http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/. Lots of tips, safety guidelines, altitude times, and more. I used it a TON last year (canned about 300 jars of stuff over a few months) and will refer to it time & time again this year.

Also, I used this book from the library so much that I bought it. Mind you, I'm cheap. I don't buy books that I can get for free from the library. http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314 It's a fantastic book and I liked about everything I made. It also gave me confidence to pressure can things without following a recipe (like baked beans - it's essentially the same thing as chili).

We ate some of the baked beans and the only problem we had was one you'd expect.
wink.png
I haven't killed us yet! LOL

I have used my canner outside many times.....you just have to stay with it and watch the temp....... it sure helps not having all that heat inside. Good luck, you will have a ton of fun.

I would call Presto customer service and ask them why you can't do it. Perhaps it is meant to protect idiots from themselves, but it may be that it will harm the bottom of the canner.

My DH bought me a pressure canner before last canning season here and let me tell you,..they scare the crap out of me! Reason being when I was a kid my mother had one blow up on her(and me), green beans and glass all over the kitchen! It was a problem with the gasket, but never the less,...too scary for me. (Im a big chicken!) I have always hot water bathed my stuff, as did my grandparents and so on,...it hasnt killed me yet,...I believe I will take my chances. A nice wood fire outside and an old wash tub works great!

BTW,..I know about canning non-acidic foods and what not, pressure canning is supposed to be safer.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not supposed to be... is.

But, we've fought this battle before over pressure canning vs. HWB canning. People must make their own decisions and inform themselves about what is and what is not safe.

You may be really pleasantly surprised by today's pressure canners. They come with a safety valve now that melts if they get too hot, which releases all the pressure from the canner. No possibilty of KABLAMMO canning.

I use mine to can broths, soups, veggies, beans, chili, and whatnot. It's great, and saves me the space in the freezer.

Quote:
Not supposed to be... is.

But, we've fought this battle before over pressure canning vs. HWB canning. People must make their own decisions and inform themselves about what is and what is not safe.

You may be really pleasantly surprised by today's pressure canners. They come with a safety valve now that melts if they get too hot, which releases all the pressure from the canner. No possibilty of KABLAMMO canning.

I use mine to can broths, soups, veggies, beans, chili, and whatnot. It's great, and saves me the space in the freezer.

I have a brand new presto pressure canner, nothing surprised me about it. Some people like them, personally I dont. Personal opinion,...

Back
Top Bottom