MY new roo pecks me!

sangel4you

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Halifax, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone!
So my boyfriend gave me one of his RIR roosters who is about a year old, and I have 5 white leghorns pullets. I have the roo sectioned off for now until they all learn to be nice to eachother. My boyfriend gave me the nicest calmest roo he had, but the problem is, when I reach into his pen to give him his feed and water, he pecks at me before I can even get to the containers. I don't think he's being mean, I think it may have more to do with the fact that he thinks I'm food. any ideas how to break him of this? I have a feeling he's going to be on lockdown for at least a week yet and I don't want to get packed on a daily basis!

i have two little roosters that are 6 wks..and they are fearless...they peck at me everytime i feed them or give water...they spar up at the big hens that are quadruple their size even tho they eventually run away...but they do sit on my hand and let me pet them...they sure have a different personality then the hens...they're so fun

You have to learn to read his body language. If he has his head down and is pecking the ground, looking up at you every once in a while (aka: cock-eyed glare) right after he pecks you, he's challenging you.

But, if he pecks you and just stands there, not really doing anything or making any moves, there's no threat.
smile.png

What does he do as you approach the area to feed him? And also what does he do right after he pecks you? He might just be a bit confused. But if he's mad, he won't keep that secret from you. Roosters are notorious for letting you know what's on their mind.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom