My new Rosecome roo. Is he any good?

Thanks for the hens comments. Well, this roo is better then what I had. He will have to do for now.
tongue.png

What you are shooting for is a roo with round earlobes, a nicely porportioned comb with small spikes and valleys, wide feathers, a smooth transition from back to tail, short back and most importantly a rosecomb posture which UC might be able to explain better but it means he holds his chest out proudly and carries his tail high and has a nice arc in his top two feathers.
10091_brown_red.jpg

I compared your roo with a roo from Katherine Plumer's website and there are a few similarities though the biggest differences are tail carriage and feather width. He has that "break" before his tail that is a problem with many rosecombs ..including mine
hmm.png
Another thing is your roo has rather large spikes on his comb. Other than the main spike, there shouldn't be other, strongly noticable ones.

Overall, he is MUCH better than the other roo you posted... though Im sure age played a major role in his condition. I don't think this guy would do well in a show at all BUT your hens are nice. I think that in a generation or two of selective breeding and you may have some nice show quality birds.

Im not an expert. I have rosecombs and have looked extensively at other folks' birds and think I have a good idea of what to look for in a nice rosecomb. Good Luck
smile.png

YES.

Faults in birds need to be judged so that you can better your own stock. THAT'S the point of showing. Showing allows others to see your birds in their full potential, whether they are perfect or not. If you do anything to alter his natural flow, you are only cheating yourself, the breeders who see him and the breed as a whole.

L&Schickens, what is your goal with your rosecombs? Are you trying to breed blacks or another color?

Personally I would NOT breed brown red or BBred into a black line unless I was looking to make improvements in type to the brown reds or BBreeds. It takes generations to perfect either color after such a cross as you'll have loads of red turning up in your blacks, and too little color coming out in your colored birds.

He's a decent, average rooster. He does not seem to have white in his face which is excellent as that can be a real pain to work out of a bloodline. His earlobes however are not round either, but might get compensated for from your hens. I'm a little concerned about the shape of his spike though....it looks like it is tending toward blade shaped (can't tell for sure from the pic) and the additional points at the base of the spike are a no-no. His comb sits really nicely on his head though and the spike is at an excellent angle off from the rest of the comb, and the size is perfect, not too big and not too small.

He doesn't hold his tail too high which is good, but he has a sharp junction between the line of his back and the tail. This is the same in the pic from Katherines site. The angle between the tail and the back makes a V, instead of a U.

Here is a pic of a really nice hen and roo that have fantastic back lines:

BlackRosecombBantamfemale.jpg

This guy of msbear has a really nice back:

10091_100_3837-1.jpg

Your fella carries his wings very well, not too low which you see a lot of. How old is he? He could have a more prominent chest, but that may develop with age if he is young.

You'll certainly have some interesting chicks from the cross.

UC

Last edited:
O my goodness!!
OK, so I guess I should have tried to get another black roo. I can't believe it, but my hens are still not laying!
somad.gif
If they were, I could hatch out some of my old roos black chicks.
This breed is kind of hard! I like it!! (No I would not cut the points off, I was just kidding about that.
tongue.png
) So I have my work cut out for me, again. I think I will look for a black roo, with ROUNDER earlobes and shorter comb spikes AND a better back. No problem!!
barnie.gif

Thanks so much for the critique.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Good illustration of the sweep from back to tail that you want in a Rosecomb male. Compare this Black to the Brown Red pictured above who shows a break rather than the sweep.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Rosecombs have been bred to a very high standard and have if anything started to go toward extremes, which makes them a challenge.

I wish you were not in the US, I have TON of young male chicks this year.

My advice would be to track down a well established breeder and get a show quality or high end breeder from them. That will be your ticket to improvements.

UC

Back
Top Bottom