My new silkie and polish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NicInNC, Mar 10, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Found these off of Craigslist. How do they look to you? I checked them over really well. The polish has an odd personality. He's funny though. The silkie is extremely calm and sweet. She loves to be held. I was told they were 3 months old. Does that look about right? Can you tell what sex they are? I finally got my silkie and polish and I'm so excited!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    You did good. They are cute. My guess is the both are hens, but I hear silkies can fool you.

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks. The poor birds hated me when I was looking at them because I was turning them over every which way, messing with their feet, pulling their feathers all apart so I could see their skin, etc.

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    they r adorable!! i'd say 2 pullets and age sounds about right too.

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Pullets. The black one sure looks alot like our Crevecoeur hens too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    They are a nice looking pair

7. Well you know the silkie is just EVIL and of course the polish is going to be a "chatter box". Enjoy, nice birds.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My polish almost never talk, cluck or crow (I have three). Silkies are NOT evil!!! They are the sweetest creatures on earth (mostly) [​IMG]

Hard to say for sure on the silkie--I've had them almost a year old before I heard a crow and over a year before an egg. I have one who is at least 18 months old and I am not sure [​IMG]

Watch the hackles on the silkie; as long as they stay short: pullet. Streamers say Cockerel.

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    silkies are real hard to sex. It usally takes some till they are 6 months old to figure out what they are. If I had to guess...I'd say it maybe a roo. but don't take that to heart its really hard to tell. I don't see any streamers on the crest but. It's comb looks very rooish to me. I have had some young roo's that looked just like that at that age. I also believed they was pullets. Give it some time post pics in another 3 months and post new pictures. Somone should be able to tell you if your silkie is indeed a boy or girl. The polish is 100% pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by