My Newbie Chicken Breed Experiences- Before Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenSnake, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    So I ordered 3 breeds of chickadee's and out of those three I have come to learn and love the distinct differences in their personalities.

Barred Rock: By far the smartest and most friendly out of the bunch. They jump up on me, follow me, and even roost on my knee if i sit in there long enough late enough.

Black Australorp: Not As friendly as the Barred Rock, but they always know when you have the food. They can FLY! They're skittish but will come up if he Barred Rocks have already deemed me safe.

Light Bramaha: Very skittish, very cute! They won't come up to me and they won't eat from my hand but they will wait until someone else gets a treat and steal it from them and then do an excited dance and song. It's cute and they're pretty but not human sociable. Always the ones to get everyone riled up squaking and running.

This is just what I have observed in the last 3 months, I LOVE my barred rocks for pals and I think I could probably use a skittish bird for meat as well if I wanted. I don't really feel attatchment to the Australorps or the Bramaha, they both fear me. Maybe things will change once they start laying who knows, but this is just what I've seen.

2. lagunitas

lagunitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    i think genetics plays a big part in their temperament, much like it does in dog breeding, and then if you take into account how they're raised, well you have the old nature vs. nurture debate. personally, i love black australorps, friendliest birds i have ever raised. ironically, i haven't been too keen on the barred rocks, but that's just my experience. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love both BAs and BRs. I have found them BOTH to be very friendly, with the BA with a slight edge over the BRs. The BRs, however, seem to be a cleverer breed. I think the LBs are pretty in a utilitarian sort of way, but not as friendly as the BAs and BRs.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by