My Newest Brooder

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I picked this old crate/chest up at a junk shop for $20.

brood1.jpg

When I saw it I knew it would be perfect. It is well built, thick and heavy. And I knew the middle lid panel could be pried up.

brood2.jpg

I cut and fit a welded wire piece over the opening and stapled it down.

brood3.jpg

Add chickens and heat.

brood4.jpg

I think it is predator proof. My chicks are in it on my side porch with a heat lamp.

I also took this wooden crate and lined the open sides with welded hardware cloth. I used an old picture frame lined with the same wire to make a top.

crate1.jpg

This one will go upstairs if or when any of those goose eggs hatch.

crate2.jpg

I like using things I already have on hand but when I saw the chest thing I had to have it. I am glad I bought it or I would be kicking myself everywhich way right now.

Miss P....is there anything you cannot do???
gig.gif
I will be up later tonight to check to see if you have any goslings...not to mention what kind they turn out to be?
caf.gif

Very nice! Where there's a will, there's a way. With us chicken-brains, everything we look at goes through a "How could I use this to help raise chickens?" filter.

Oh ...Good ideas always needed for chicken farmers!!...You should have seen the look on DH face last Spring when I went by the local video shop and saw A-framing (they had used these for keeping their videos on and were throwing out acouple older ones)...I told hubby those could be used to build a chicken tractor!!..I had to supervise tho he just didn't see the dream right off the bat
wink.png
.... Now I have a nice tractor set up for growing out or time out for roosters!!...

Back
Top Bottom