My noisy Australorp

thenaturecoast

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 24, 2012
I have three hens that are almost laying age. My australorp is closest to egg laying age, she is also the biggest, and is certainly on top of the pecking order. Just in the last three weeks she has become increasingly noisy. Grumbling whenever I am by their coop and grumbling when I need to get in there to feed them or clean. I picked this breed along with my arucana and buff especially because of their docile and quiet nature. She is still very nice and friendly when she is free-ranging and when I hand feed but she has become increasingly loud. It is not that it bothers me but I do live in a neighborhood where my neighbors are quite close and I don't want them to be a nuisance.

It has come to my attention that sometimes a hen will begin to act like a rooster in some ways when no rooster is present. Another thing is I recently got three new chicks. They are now almost two months old. They are millie fleurs and I built them a smaller coop right next to my big girls. One of the millie fleurs is a rooster but he is not crowing yet. So will he help quite my Australorp as he gets bigger? Will having the two coops next to each other will the rooster affect the other girls in any way?

So basically anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
She is most likely lead hen.

Are they laying yet? Hens get REALLY loud right before and after they lay. She looks about ready unless she already has. If she isnt crowing she isnt a boy, sounds like she is just being a chicken.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hens do make noise. She may go either way quieter or nosier when she starts to lay. I'd say likely more. The rooster won't help quiet her down, not in his job description. Besides job number one he looks for trouble both external and internal to the flock. He doesn't quiet the noisy ones down, unless they are disturbing his peace. If one start to sing the egg song he might join in. If he is separate, his influence is less. Concerned about the hen now, just wait till the rooster starts to crow.

Well thanks for the feedback. She has not started laying yet but it should be soon! Her comb and wattle are looking beautiful and mature. Her noises are pretty funny her loudest one seriously sounds like a goose. This is my first time raising chickens so I am learning! I love it here at BYC! Thanks

Hens do make noise. She may go either way quieter or nosier when she starts to lay. I'd say likely more. The rooster won't help quiet her down, not in his job description. Besides job number one he looks for trouble both external and internal to the flock. He doesn't quiet the noisy ones down, unless they are disturbing his peace. If one start to sing the egg song he might join in. If he is separate, his influence is less. Concerned about the hen now, just wait till the rooster starts to crow.
I agree my Rooster joins in with all my hens when they do the eggs song. Somehow he is in sync with them and can repeat the noises exactly when they do! Its so funny!

I also like how he treats the girls and shows the treats and even better, I get fertile eggs which means chicks!

But I agree, she may quiet down but she most likely get louder!

Back
Top Bottom