My OEGB died today - not sure why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jerseygirl1, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I hatched a pair of OEGB back in May, one roo and a hen. On Sunday I noticed she was laying low and hanging back, with one eye closed. I put her in sick bay in the basement and gave her some vitamin water and some scrambled egg. She was quite feisty the whole time, so I thought maybe she just had gotten pecked in the eye. SHe had a good appetite. Today I came home from work and she was dead. Any insight as to what could have caused it. Out of my whole flock, she was the only one that seemed sick.
    I would appreciate any advice, so I can prevent it from happening again. Thanks

2. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    Oh no! I was going to ask you how she was doing. So sorry she didn't make it [​IMG] I dont know what could have been wrong with her though, so I am no help with that. Hope someone can help!

Amy

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Sooo sorry to hear.It's really hard to say.Possibly could be something genetetic or anything really.I have lost a few along the way for no explanation and it's heartbreaking.Ive lost quite a few last couple week's but predator's and really working on them.Rats got my young and hawks after more of my other's. I have OEGB's and love mine too.The hen's and a few of my roo's are big babie's.I have one blind in one eye hen about 2 month's old still in basement due to dog.She is graduating back outside to a secure coop with her broody buddie's this week.So sorry about your hen. [​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Have not clue - I checked boutlism, and that didn't fit at all
    Oh, well, time for some seramas..................
    Poor Bubba, he's gonna miss his girl

5. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I am very sorry for your loss. I had a 1 yr old hen who appeared perfectly healthy just drop dead one day. Anyway, so sorry and hope you get some kind of closure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by