My official hello :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 00 Turok, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 00 Turok

00 Turok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    Hello everyone.

I 1st posted in the "Raising Baby Chicks" forum when I rescued some yellow peeps I found on the road. 2 survived & are 4 weeks old now. I just spent $1,200 on materials to build their coop & run. They'll have an 8x8x8 foot coop with a hawk proof 12x20x10 foot run, when I'm done. [​IMG]

Why so big? I plan on buying some egg layer breeds later who can pay rent with eggs. Maybe I'll start making some of that money back. I had to resist real hard not to buy any peeps when I was at TSC buying chicken wire today. Massive self control.

Why do I give in to their cuteness? I'm a MAN ! & yet, here I am going through all this hassle, because of 2 little peeps that peeped at me to rescue them. Looking at me with their fuzzy, yellow faces. [​IMG] Now I understand why baby everything looks cute, be it kittens, puppies, peeps, or people babies. It's a survival mechanism. They look cute so us humans will want to take care of them, & it's very effective.

I never had much respect for chickens before. I was surprised to learn how smart chickens are. Funny thing is I was designing a hawk house for when I get a falconer to sponsor me & can start training a Red-tail Hawk. Then I run into these chickens & 4 weeks later I'm building a coop.

But my chickens are so cool. When I take off the lid on their brooder, they fly up & roost on the top edge & if I hold out my arm, they will fly over to roost on my arm.

Chicken & the Snowman? [​IMG]

Plus they follow me everywhere & they keep my cat in line. My Black Halloween Cat. That mischievous, always getting into things he's not suppose to Black Cat; Mr. Gizmo. I've also learned the hard way to always wear a shirt when laying down to watch TV with the chickies. Things like small moles look like grains of food to them & well... OUCH !

That's my story so far. I'll post pics of my / their coop when I'm done. I guess I'll be postponing raising a hawk for a while.

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Wow, quite a life! Good for you to take those chicks in - I'm sure they're very greatful. Yes, the chicken math is going to start. First you have two... then three... then six... then.... ahh! But welcome to BYC!!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. My advice on the coop, use screws. They are easier to remove when you need to make things bigger. :lau

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Broken

Broken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. 00 Turok

00 Turok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    @ 4-H chicken mom... Way ahead of you. [​IMG] I've always built with screws, because they are stronger than nails. I'm designing one section of the coop wall so If I end up expanding; all I have to do is take off 1 wall panel.

Clearing the ground is another story.
    Hopefully this "Chicken Math" has a long incubation period. [​IMG]

7. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello & [​IMG] from Southern California! [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by