my older chicken got left out last night

newchickenowners

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
what should i do? she is breathing heavy. it got down to 19 last night, do you think she will be okay?
sad.png

* How many chickens in the coop?? Reason I ask is b/c I wonder if their breathing will give off enuf humidity to help ease hers. Do you know the temp. INSIDE the coop on a really cold night??

she is with 6 other older chickens, and 16 new chicks that are 4 weeks old. two heat lamps total in the coop.

* Well, I probably would have brought her in, and put her in a higher humidity environment, and started her on some hot mash and electrolytes and maybe vitamins, too. Don't know that I'd disturb the whole coop to do that now in the middle of the night, though. You'd have to check with s/o with experience with chicks-- but, I'm not certain that is warm enough for them either, really. DID you see any sign of frostbite on your hen??

Last edited:
no signs of frost bite., with two heat lamps in the coop, and 6 other hens, and 16 chicks that are 4 weeks old, it stays pretty warm in there. i will watch her tomorrow, and get some more one on one signs and see how she is doing

* Good. Careful w/ your electric-- wiring and all. Might want to post a wall thermometer INSIDE the coop & think about winterizing a little more with the chickees out there. . . heard where s/o used those mylar "space blankets". They may not be too costly. ED: Hot mash, if you ever need it is a little chick crumbles or layer feed mixed w/ a bit of water and served up warm-- like hot breakfast cereal for people. I've even used Red mill multi-grain w/ a little ground dry cat food in a pinch. . . It can be mixed thin, thick or anywhere in-between and warms from the inside out-- just as in us and aids hydration. . . HOWEVER, you mix it fresh each batch as it spoils FAST. I use those little 3oz. Kitty food bowls for a full grown hen-- And, THEY may not eat all of it even.
smile.png
Keep us updated, please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom