1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My oldest chicken died!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wise Woman, May 25, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Dottie was a silver spangled hamburg. We bought her in the summer of 2001 when she was a year old. She was always the smallest chicken we had, but no one ever picked on her. She wasn't a great layer, but she laid eggs up through last summer. She was fine this morning when I fed and watered and then she was just sitting there in her favorite spot dead when I went out to get eggs this afternoon. She had a good long chicken life. Rest in peace Dottie!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Wow! She had a good run- 10 years is impressive. I am sorry for your loss.

RIP Dottie. You were obviously loved and well cared for.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss...what a long time to have a pet bird! I'm sure she was greatly loved [​IMG]

5. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    A lot has happened since we got Dottie. She has lived in every single coop we have had! She wasn't especially friendly, but was a constant. She has gotten along with every single chicken we have ever had as well. She just went about her business day after day. My daughter was 12 when she picked Dottie out of the sellers pen. She is now 22 and expecting her first baby in August. My how things have changed. We will always love Dottie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by