My one and only Easter egged laid me a different color

MonicaAndHer6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
My hen Goldie, she laid me a different colored egg today. She normally lays minty green eggs that feel sandpaperish. today to my surprise it was blue! And felt smooth! I was so impressed and excited. Ii don't wanna crack it. I guess hens can and do lay different eggs

I knew they could be blue or green, but can they be light brown? I have an Americana and a Barred Rock, finding 2 eggs both light brown, every other day the last week, just started laying.

I've read that Easter egg era could lay any color give her time. In fact my Delaware laid s lavender egg but I don't see those everyday

Thank you. I've read a lot, but hadn't seen that. So looking forward to a colorful egg for the grandchildren!

Most breeds, if they can lay blue or green eggs, they can lay both
wink.png

This isn't true at all, sorry. That's not how genetics works.

A hen will lay a more intensely colored egg at the beginning of her laying cycle and a paler egg at the end of the cycle, and that's about it.

I would guess that the EE in question was getting too much calcium (sandpapery eggs) and for some reason she isn't any more (smooth egg) and that changed how the color of the egg looks to the eye.

I've read that Easter egg era could lay any color give her time. In fact my Delaware laid s lavender egg but I don't see those everyday

The "lavender" of a lavender egg is a coating on top of the standard color egg, and you would never see an egg from any given hen every single day. Dellies are more likely to lay only 5 eggs per week.

I watched my Delaware lay a lavender egg. At this time I was bummed because I didn't know if my ee would be laying a colored egg and I didn't know who was laying. So I thought at least someone is laying a lavender
Egg. Then one day I got a green egg and then pinkish brown brown with freckles. I get all different colors now I feel impressed since I only got my one ee and have 2 dellies 2 rir and 1 barred rock
I'm gonna have to take a picture if all the different shades everyone is I've got about 40 eggs these few weeks plus
More today. It's crazy I'm burned ou on eggs but I try to at least 1 egg a day. Anyway I'll have to take a pic when I get home so you can see all the different shades from 6 hens a laying.

I'm not saying that you can't get eggs that look lavender. I get pinkish brown eggs from my Barred Rocks, and keep them for that reason. What I'm saying is that things like the pinkish coating that makes eggs look lavender and the splotches of color that make the speckled eggs can change based on a hen's diet and health. The dark brown coating of a good Marans egg, for instance, may be uniform one day and more speckled the next. The underlying egg color however--brown, white, blue, green--won't change.

Back
Top Bottom