My one, rooster disliking neighbor.

Mountain Bird

Chirping
Sep 10, 2017
I have lived in my community for six years. I’ve had chickens the entire time I’ve lived here. I’ve had roosters before, never once had any of my neighbors complain. I even had two of my neighbors inquire about the lack of crowing when I had to cull my Buff Brahma boy due to aggression. They were so upset that they didn’t get to hear him anymore.

I have a new neighbor. She moved in 6 months ago, a city gal. She has officially voiced a complaint about my rooster. He’s a BCM , 6 months old, and in prime juvenility. He crows, but not excessively. Starts at dawn, with the occasional “something looming near the coop and spooks him” crow in the middle of the night. The issue is understandable. Her house, and bedroom, is near the area of my property with my coop. The second issue is that I am allowed to have a rooster in my area, although specifically I cannot. I must have a whole acre, and I have half and acre.

I attempted to glaze it over initially with eggs. While the eggs were accepted, the message was not. She is finally requesting that I move him to the opposite side of the property. I informed her that I cannot and will not get rid of him, and he won’t stop crowing. Its part of his nature. I sense that she has absolutely no knowledge of chickens so I explained that a rooster is like a dog living outside, and one that crows to wake his flock and it’s totally normal behavior. What initially was a complaint to move him further from her is now become “i don’t like the sound”.

I’ve moved my poor rooster into a crate in our outdoor mudroom for the last three nights. I let him back in with his girls at about 7:00a, which is when I feel like this lady is awake and up. I do not want to do this forever and I don’t want him to be without his girls in the morning and through the night. My handy husband had an idea to build a Batchelor coop for him. It could be large enough hold a couple hens in with him for selective breeding purposes. But unsure if this is going to build up aggression/hormones/create more crowing/etc.

Will this effect his rooster roosterings? 😓 Likely most will respond YES, but I’m just looking for similar experience stories. Thank you!

Do not use a crow collar. They don’t work. I’m speaking from experience. They don’t stop the crowing. Only lessen the level at which he crows. The collars are also very finicky and he could die if used incorrectly. I know this from experience.

My advice would be to dig into your local laws. Be sure you can have a rooster. The way you word it, it sounds like your local laws might say you need to have an acre to keep a rooster. Am I interpreting that correctly? Or are there no regulations on roosters at all?

Where I live there’s no regulations on roosters or how many chickens I can keep. So even though my neighbors have complained, and still do, I keep my roosters and my chickens. I will be moving though so there’s no need to rehome my flock.

Do not use a crow collar. They don’t work. I’m speaking from experience. They don’t stop the crowing. Only lessen the level at which he crows. The collars are also very finicky and he could die if used incorrectly. I know this from experience.

My advice would be to dig into your local laws. Be sure you can have a rooster. The way you word it, it sounds like your local laws might say you need to have an acre to keep a rooster. Am I interpreting that correctly? Or are there no regulations on roosters at all?

Where I live there’s no regulations on roosters or how many chickens I can keep. So even though my neighbors have complained, and still do, I keep my roosters and my chickens. I will be moving though so there’s no need to rehome my flock.
welp, i'm not using those again. scratch that crow collar post.

welp, i'm not using those again. scratch that crow collar post.
I could never get them to work. Even when I used them correctly. The roosters still crowed and my neighbor still complained. So I kept trying to tighten the collar. My rooster died because I used the collar wrong but if my story spares a roosters life and someone else’s heartache I’m glad to tell it.

Sound boarding the coop? I'd let the neighbor see you are making an effort to ease her pain. Cuss under your breath, make a voodoo doll of her whatever but you may appease her long enough for her to realize she is not in the city anymore and rooster crows can be very reassuring.
I read the 1 acre the same, as in, you may be in the legal wrong and if you pass her off she may find out.
I just sold a gorgeous rooster to a wonderful lady who loves him. But with the move he started crowing and crowing... even though she lives across from cattle, her b*tchy neighbor let her know to get rid of him or she is calling. I always take my boys back and well, this boy with open arms, beautiful low Brahma crow ♡
He is still crowing and crowing in his Batchelor coop. If I toss scratch the girls will come and he will tidbit for awhile but it is what it is. I think if you separate your boy from the girls it may come worse.
I have also rehomed a few roos for being too noisy. They would not settle and well, I don't want to be a total jerk to tolerant people.

She asked you to move him not get rid of him. I don’t understand the problem. If you’re not allowed to have him because your acreage isn’t big enough then you’ll likely not win a fight with her.
On the other hand, stupid city people moving to a country place for the lifestyle they don’t actually want is really damn annoying.

For everyone who says they do not work is someone, like me, who is using them safely and effectively. Try the no-crow collar. My roos are happy, healthy, and have a muffled crow that is far softer than the damn dogs next door.

you won’t win this one because you’re in the wrong. it doesn’t matter how stupid the rule is or whether or not you agree with it. those are the rules for where you live and you’re in violation of them.

digging in and telling your neighbor that you “cannot and will not get rid of your rooster” is only making things worse

just because you had friendly neighbors previously doesn’t mean you were right to have a rooster then, either.

Back
Top Bottom