My one, rooster disliking neighbor.

Good luck on dealing with this. Having a neighbor complain about my roos is a concern of mine as a house is getting built next door now. Used to be an empty lot with a dilapidated building. Why they built right next to the property line out of the entire acre is beyond me. My area is rural but not "closest neighbor is 2 miles down the road" level. Roosters in every direction and horses across the street. On top of multiple Butterball farms. So I hope my neighbors accept the area they choose to live in. I am building a coop further away from the property line though, towards the back. But the main one is staying put for now. Its posts are 16in deep and at least 15ft from the line.

Sorry sorta rambling about my own possible future situation
No, not rambling, and thank you for sharing. Let me know how it goes!

She asked you to move him not get rid of him. I don’t understand the problem. If you’re not allowed to have him because your acreage isn’t big enough then you’ll likely not win a fight with her.
On the other hand, stupid city people moving to a country place for the lifestyle they don’t actually want is really damn annoying.
maybe so, but the OP doesn’t really have a leg to stand on because she’s squarely in the wrong.

if she was in the right, and had enough land, my advice would’ve been to tell the neighbor to kick rocks. but it’s tough to call the shots when you’re breaking the rules.

also, we don’t know if the OP is in the country. 1/2-1 acre is pretty common in suburban areas.
Definitely living in the country. I live in a national forest area, Southern California. I’m only looped into the city code because my local government is too lazy to craft out policies specifically for mountain residents.

Thank you all for the advice and stories.

Yes, I realize that digging in might not be in my best interest. Never once has she asked me to get rid of him. I mentioned the “i cannot and won’t get rid of him” to give her my position on how much he means to me. I want to be a good neighbor, but I also want to enjoy my chickens. I realize that the property is smaller and he’s going to be heard no matter what. Her initial posed issue with the sound is that she doesn’t want it as close to her home.

I live in a small, rural community in the mountains of Southern California. There are 50 or so homes in this small community. Real tight knit. Everyone is really cool. People kind of operate however they've wanted. My neighbor had peacocks for years (until the mountain lions got them, & illegal), pigs (also illegal), dogs (unregistered with county), roosters (there were several in our community, now I’m the last one). The neighbor herself is currently in a similar situation. She has two large dogs who break out of her yard almost every day. Every one of my neighbors have all played their part in catching the dogs and calling them to come get them, including myself on several occasions. There have been several complaints about how they cannot contain or control their pets. When I initially had the discussion with my neighbors on the opposite side her to inquire their opinion about the crowing, there were no issues. If I do build a Batchelor coop on the opposite side, I know that my two neighbors have zero problems with him. One of these neighbors is actually the lady who was pissed off that I culled poor Buffy Brahma 😂 “How could you?”, she said.

I’m going to have a more in depth discussion with her about whether or not we can compromise. I will explain that she’ll still hear him, just more in the distance. Get a more clear understanding of what she wants here…

I appreciate the Batchelor coop feedback. Anyone with anymore Batchelor coop stories as it pertains to temperament , please share!
I think it is a good idea to have the in depth talk with the neighbor to get a better understanding of what you will need to do to keep everyone happy. Maybe a more distant crow is all it will take. Good luck and update as needed.

I somewhat disagree. Assuming other codes (setbacks and such) are being followed, an additional half acre would make no difference. This appears to be another case of "I want a more country life without hearing the country".
I can tell you that this lady totally fits the mold. An additional half acre and you’d still hear him. I’m going to dig more into the specifics on the law since I live in a rural area, 10 miles + from city limits. Southern California, small community tucked in the national forest.

Good luck on dealing with this. Having a neighbor complain about my roos is a concern of mine as a house is getting built next door now. Used to be an empty lot with a dilapidated building. Why they built right next to the property line out of the entire acre is beyond me. My area is rural but not "closest neighbor is 2 miles down the road" level. Roosters in every direction and horses across the street. On top of multiple Butterball farms. So I hope my neighbors accept the area they choose to live in. I am building a coop further away from the property line though, towards the back. But the main one is staying put for now. Its posts are 16in deep and at least 15ft from the line.

Sorry sorta rambling about my own possible future situation
You should start a thread on that. I am facing a similar situation.... neighbor moving, therefore, a new neighbor.

You should start a thread on that. I am facing a similar situation.... neighbor moving, therefore, a new neighbor.
I may if that really happens. To vent if nothing else. Its also not like my chickens aren't noticeable so I'd hope they'd know what they're in for before closing, lol. At least they're confined to a run now and that's huge (48x48) so any potential buyers can't miss it

My neighbor had peacocks for years (until the mountain lions got them, & illegal), pigs (also illegal), dogs (unregistered with county), roosters (there were several in our community, now I’m the last one).
again, everyone being wrong doesn’t make it right. all it takes is one neighbor who doesn’t like hearing or seeing farm animals to blow the whole thing up. and that neighbor would legally be right.
The neighbor herself is currently in a similar situation. She has two large dogs who break out of her yard almost every day. Every one of my neighbors have all played their part in catching the dogs and calling them to come get them, including myself on several occasions. There have been several complaints about how they cannot contain or control their pets.
it sounds like you’ve got a case of mutually assured destruction on your hands. she complains about your rooster, you complain about her dogs.

hopefully it doesn’t come to that, and you and she can hash things out like adults. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom