My one, rooster disliking neighbor.

It ironic for a city person to complain about a noise of a rooster, when a city like a major metropolis has far more noise pollution.
different animals altogether.

noise in the city is constant. it actually just all becomes white noise. it’s like being at a football game. by the second quarter you don’t notice how loud it is anymore even though there’s 60,000 people yelling.

noise in the country is usually sudden and abrupt above general silence. more like being at a golf tournament and having one fan screaming when everyone else is quiet.

one barking dog in a rural setting is more annoying than living in midtown manhattan when it comes to noise.

Last edited:
I moved to a neighborhood where there was a noisy dog, long story short, I ended up moving somewhere else even though they were fined by the cops. It doesn’t matter if it’s their nature, you should respect your neighbors. It doesn’t matter if that person is from the city and doesn’t want to hear the animals, she has the right to not wanting to hear loud noises, like a rooster, a dog, or drums. As I see it, "your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins". That’s what I think, maybe I’m wrong and people wanting some peace are also wrong.

I moved to a neighborhood where there was a noisy dog, long story short, I ended up moving somewhere else even though they were fined by the cops. It doesn’t matter if it’s their nature, you should respect your neighbors. It doesn’t matter if that person is from the city and doesn’t want to hear the animals, she has the right to not wanting to hear loud noises, like a rooster, a dog, or drums. As I see it, "your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins". That’s what I think, maybe I’m wrong and people wanting some peace are also wrong.
The Right you speak of is not generally contractual, though generally implied between a landlord and tenant. In terms of property ownership, its part of the broad subset of nuisance law, simultaneously defined and constrained by the ordinances controlling your use of your own property, and the neighbor's use of theirs. Often, it does not convey a private right of action. In many states, legislation has been drafted specifically to foreclose the use of Nuisance to interfere with a neighbors posession of livestock (ina properly zoned and sized parcel, subject to other limits on quantity, facilities, property set backs and the like).

"your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins" describes physical violence, an intrusion upon one's person. It is not a general principle allowing one to dictate how another uses their own property in ways which you might find offensive, inconvenient, or annoying. If you want to control your neighbor's use of their own property (and extend the neighbor the same control over your own), form an HOA.

"your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins" describes physical violence, an intrusion upon one's person. It is not a general principle allowing one to dictate how another uses their own property in ways which you might find offensive, inconvenient, or annoying
no, the saying doesn’t apply to property usage, but let’s not forget that the OP is in the wrong here legally.

she doesn’t have enough land, according to the laws where they live, to keep a rooster.

the move here is to come to a reasonable agreement outside of the laws. if one can’t be reached, OP might have a problem if the neighbor ever figures out the law

no, the saying doesn’t apply to property usage, but let’s not forget that the OP is in the wrong here legally.

she doesn’t have enough land, according to the laws where they live, to keep a rooster.

the move here is to come to a reasonable agreement outside of the laws. if one can’t be reached, OP might have a problem if the neighbor ever figures out the law
No part of my post was intended to defend the OP.

"(ina properly zoned and sized parcel, subject to other limits on quantity, facilities, property set backs and the like)."

Just correcting the larger misunderstanding of the nature of US law generally. I see that phrase being misapplied in all sorts of areas, not just property, but more often speech - most typically by the political extremes and by the youth. Its a dangerous idea in my view. "Who decides?" has a history we should not be eager to repeat.

The poster to whom I responded was inviting correction/education, I thought.
That’s what I think, maybe I’m wrong and people wanting some peace are also wrong.

No part of my post was intended to defend the OP.

"(ina properly zoned and sized parcel, subject to other limits on quantity, facilities, property set backs and the like)."

Just correcting the larger misunderstanding of the nature of US law generally. I see that phrase being misapplied in all sorts of areas, not just property, but more often speech - most typically by the political extremes and by the youth. Its a dangerous idea in my view. "Who decides?" has a history we should not be eager to repeat.

The poster to whom I responded was inviting correction/education, I thought.
all good. i wasn’t arguing with your post, just continuing the conversation.

also agreed about the term being misapplied with regards to freedom of speech.

I am interested in learning how this continues for you! This is a constant worry of mine, as I live in one of the suburb type areas mentioned earlier that is large enough to allow roosters but still a neighborhood setting. Not at all in the country, I am only about 15 mins from downtown Sacramento. In the unincorporated parts if your lot is over 10,000 sq ft you can have roosters and there is no limit on chickens. You can also have goats and other livestock :) I love that it is allowed and I currently have 2 roosters, but only one crows at the moment and we live on a 1/3 acre. So far the neighbors are all fine with him, he's a pretty polite rooster and doesn't crow until sun up around 6 am and only occasionally during the day and almost never at night. So I know for certain I am allowed to have him and he is far less annoying than the neighbors dogs, but every time he crows I worry about that one neighbor that might complain--I soooo hate conflict. Fortunately, the neighbors I do know all love hearing it and say it makes them feel like they live in the country :D And one of my other neighbors has 3 goats, so I feel like we are good for now...until someone new moves in when the older folks in the cul de sac move on. :( Would love to hear how the more in-depth conversation goes!

Im so sorry that your neighbor is so damn dumb. I love roosters more than hens and get angry when people complain about roosters but not constantly barking dogs or something. My uncle used to live on a farm and had a new neighbor and got angry when they saw barn animals even though the house specifically said it was next to a farm. The neighbor is dumb, and so is yours. City people are dumb when it comes to chickens and especially roosters, this is bad advice but if I were you I would educate her on roosters then ask her why she even moved into a farming community, people who own chickens generally live in a farming community, its like getting mad when you smell poultry on a poultry farm. I would consider having a large coop on the farthest part of your property, you might want to consider placing thick old towels and blankets on the parts of the coop that face the neighbors direction next, this is to dampen the sound. Because it sounds like you need an acre to hold 1 roo but you only have .5 acres, I would do this as soon as possible. If she tells the town about you holding a rooster when your not allowed to then your in even more trouble and it wont take long to get ugly, although you might get away with it by doing things to dampen his crowing. Hope that helps.

If a large coop wont do anything, this might sound even weirder but you might want to consider asking her if planting sound-barrier trees/bushes like Oleander on your side of the property to help with sound dampening, both are easy to grow. I hope I could offer help.

One thing you also want to do is be nice and respectful, for example lets say she is annoyed at the crowing sound and wants to know if you could move the rooster farther away on your property. Its good to respond with "Thanks for telling me, Ill do that so its not an inconvenience." Instead of saying "I wont get rid of it." Its frustrating when city folks move into farming communities because they don't understand the law of the land just yet and how they should not be upset because of livestock, then why they moved into a farming community then get mad at smelling, hearing or seeing livestock.

Also remember how she never asked you to get rid of him, she still cares that you care about him and while that's still going on, showing that you respect her concerns might make her stop complaining hell maybe you 2 will even be friends and you might even get to keep the roo in the end.

Im so sorry that your neighbor is so damn dumb. I love roosters more than hens and get angry when people complain about roosters but not constantly barking dogs or something. My uncle used to live on a farm and had a new neighbor and got angry when they saw barn animals even though the house specifically said it was next to a farm. The neighbor is dumb, and so is yours. City people are dumb when it comes to chickens and especially roosters, this is bad advice but if I were you I would educate her on roosters then ask her why she even moved into a farming community, people who own chickens generally live in a farming community, its like getting mad when you smell poultry on a poultry farm. I would consider having a large coop on the farthest part of your property, you might want to consider placing thick old towels and blankets on the parts of the coop that face the neighbors direction next, this is to dampen the sound. Because it sounds like you need an acre to hold 1 roo but you only have .5 acres, I would do this as soon as possible. If she tells the town about you holding a rooster when your not allowed to then your in even more trouble and it wont take long to get ugly, although you might get away with it by doing things to dampen his crowing. Hope that helps.

If a large coop wont do anything, this might sound even weirder but you might want to consider asking her if planting sound-barrier trees/bushes like Oleander on your side of the property to help with sound dampening, both are easy to grow. I hope I could offer help.

One thing you also want to do is be nice and respectful, for example lets say she is annoyed at the crowing sound and wants to know if you could move the rooster farther away on your property. Its good to respond with "Thanks for telling me, Ill do that so its not an inconvenience." Instead of saying "I wont get rid of it." Its frustrating when city folks move into farming communities because they don't understand the law of the land just yet and how they should not be upset because of livestock, then why they moved into a farming community then get mad at smelling, hearing or seeing livestock.

Also remember how she never asked you to get rid of him, she still cares that you care about him and while that's still going on, showing that you respect her concerns might make her stop complaining hell maybe you 2 will even be friends and you might even get to keep the roo in the end.
Some people wake up from nearby roosters crowing early in the morning. It can be exhausting to wake up too early every day. This has nothing to do with being dumb.

Imho: the best way to handle a rooster noise problem is to the way OP says she wanted to do.
@Mountain Bird , I’m curious what the outcome is. :caf

I do not understand you are even disputing this with your neighbor? You even admitted that you need 1 acre of land in order to own a rooster, and you said you have half an acre. What is there to dispute? You cannot legally have a rooster. I feel like you’re the one being inconsiderate of your neighbor, and also incredibly narrow minded in believing that you can just break the law. You’re not above the law. Get rid of your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom