My only friend has died.

Greetings Hayamz,

I am so sorry for your loss. Like you, many people raise chickens as pets. And like you their pets pass away. Sometimes we know the reason, and sometimes we don't.

It sounds like your hen was suffering from a reproductive problem. Most likely she was an internal layer. This means her eggs were being released inside the body cavity. This is why she was displaying nesting behavior, but not laying any eggs. The internal egg can be absorbed by the body, but eventually, one too many eggs are released, and the body is overwhelmed. The egg will decay within the body cavity creating an infection, egg yolk peritonitis. This will cause a hen to poop a yellow mucousy egg like substance. A hen will have a penguin like stance when they are having difficulty laying an egg, have an oviduct obstruction, or internal eggs in the body cavity. Watery poop, is another way the body tries to rid itself of toxins building from infection. Some hens develop a swollen belly from all the ascites (body liquid), that builds up in the cavity. Along with decreased appetite, a keeper will know something is wrong. Reproductive problems happen in hens.

But, nesting behavior without a egg being laid, is the biggest clue that a hen is in trouble.

Do not blame yourself, these are things that take many years for keepers to learn. I have had chickens for many years. And I still have to take them to the vet for a diagnosis. Because chickens are prey animals, they will hide some symptoms to prevent looking weak. This is how predators find their dinner, sick or old animals are the easiest. Sometimes, hens even recover by themselves.

And other times, a keeper can do everything for a sick chicken, to no avail. The chicken will still succumb to it's illness. I have a hen like that right now. She is my alpha hen, a beautiful black Ameruacana, "Taji". She is on her second course of antibiotics, I have her in the house with me, she has all the love and care I can muster. But, sadly...I don't think it will be enough. I am grieved, every time I lose a member of my flock.

But, this is how life goes.

A wonderful special little hen came into your life just when you needed her.

Now she has moved on to another place. Yes, I believe that all creatures have a spirit, that continues on. Where ever she is, she is not suffering. And she knows how much you loved and cared for her.

These are my thoughts on the passing of your beloved pet friend.

God Bless and peace to you. :hugs
That hen is probably hanging out with my dear rooster "Peeps" RIP good friends!

You obviously cared for her a lot, and she was so lucky to have such a great owner like you (I'm sure you were lucky to have her too). I am so sorry to here that she passed away, that must be very hard for you. I am always inspired to see people with close bonds to an animal like a chicken, because you can always see that the animal feels the same.

I am sorry for your loss. Sometimes these things happen. If it's answers you want let me ask.

What was she fed? Chicken pets are sometimes fed non nutrition foods. The best things to give your chickens is a nutritious commercial feed. Feeding them non feed items can put them off. Chickens like us need a balanced diet and they can only get this with a commercial feed.

Then they need just plain clean water, no additives. We should never treat chickens with any medicines unless we have some idea what is wrong.

If given grains and grasses they need a good insoluble grit. Chickens can find it in the yard but generally an offering of Gran I Grit is best. Grit helps a chicken digest it's food and works to keep the digestive system flowing smoothly. Sour crop and the like are due to non sufficient insoluble grit. Offering it free choice lets your birds decide when to eat it.

Unfortunately there are a myriad of "treats" on the market. These are NOT to be substituted for a balanced feed. Some times they are. Like cats and dogs we can spoil our birds by giving them the things to excess. To much bread (I've found my chickens lay funny shaped eggs when given to much bread, now they don't get it so often) , lettuce, meal worms, scratch grains, fruits etc. etc. Given to excess they will do the same to chickens as they do to us if we were to eat ice cream or candy all the time. Like children chickens can't make the right choices and will pass the healthy feed for grains and treats.

Of course chickens do get viruses and cancers just like other animals, so I can't say what happened to you beloved pet.

I've heard it said that our pets don't live as long as humans do because they already know how to be good so they don't have to wait as long to go to heaven.

Peace :hugs

Rancher

Thank you all so much for your comfort .. I wish I had know earlier what she was going through .. I didn't know she was suffering that much :( . Even when she was in pain she was always active and filled my life with joy and laughter .. I miss her so much , I don't think I will ever own a pet again especially a chicken .. As much as they give us joy as much as they break hearts when they leave so I will live to remember the good times I've spent with my chicky and maybe one day I will tell my children about her .. I'm so glad that my phone is filled with tons of photos and videos of her and I at every moment of these two years ..

I have loved and lost some special birds myself over the years. They can be amazing pets and companions, when given the chance. I know your heart is broken now with the loss of your special hen, but do consider getting another in future, when you are ready. There are lots more hens and even roosters out there that would love to stay with someone like you.

19657232_10213921434336419_8848313375928607791_n.jpg

I'm sure in time you will feel better and I hope that when you do you consider somewhere out there is another waiting to connect with you.
I used to say, no more cats after Jody, Jane, Toby, Merlin, Stubby, Skinny Pete, Fred, and Puff and others. Then my daughters cat, Norma Jean needed a place since she did not get along with my new son in laws two boys. Sky and ?. What was I to do? Let her go to the pound? I think Jody, Jane, etc. etc. Would be upset had I let that happen. So here she is and here she'll stay, til the good lord takes her or me.

So, for those who may not know, my wife is dying of cancer. Last night as she lay in bed, (she can't get up) and I sat next to her watching tv, she calls, "Norma Jean, here kitty, kitty". Norma Jean came and got up on the bed and my wife says, "there's my kitty". My wife is not an animal lover by any means. Just another reason to be glad we took Norma Jean in.

@Racherhicks, I am so sorry. :hugsNo I didn't know that about your wife. I sincerely hope her journey is peaceful. I know how hard this must be for you but what a blessing that Norma Jean touched her heart and is there to comfort her along with you.

Animals seem to come into your life when you need them the most.

Back
Top Bottom