My opinion on Meyers vs. Cackle Hatchery.

Allisha

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2013
For the most part, everything was up to par for Meyers. They shipped out the 13th of April, and arrived on 15th. I had ordered 11 Salmon Faverolle's(10 females, 1 male), and 5 Golden Cuckoo Marans.(One male, 4 females), and one Meal Maker(turned out to be a Leghorn). No DOA's, but 3 Salmon's died the first day. They refunded us for our losses as soon as we called them, and customer service seemed great. The only issue I have is that one of my Marans has a severe roach-back, the poor thing. She has wonderful coloring already, and its a shame I will not be using her in my breeding program. I will keep her for her egg producing, though.

Cackle's customer Service was pretty good, except for one woman that seemed a little cranky/rude. They explained our questions clearly, although the wait on the chicks was a long time. Originally we wanted the shipments at the same time, and I was excited because the availability turned available, and although we ordered before others we had 'already placed our order', and even if they were all available at the same date, we could not change it. Which is understandable in a way. Also, our shipping notice was not sent out. They did not confirm that they had shipped them out, so we called them. They did say they shipped them out. Despite the lack of a notice, and the one mildly rude lady, I enjoyed ordering from them. The shipment shipped out the 4th of May.(6 Speckled Sussex, 6 Welsummers, 6 Light Brahmas, 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 5 Appenzellar Spitzhauben's.) They all arrived alive with 2 extras, and the box was snug as a bug in a rug.

So I guess it is all up to a general opinion. Meyers had better costumer service skills, although a roach back slipped into my order. Cackle had packed the shipping box better, but failed to send out a notice. I do not think I can pick which hatchery I like the most quite yet, but I will be doing business with the both of them again.

I've never used Meyer Hatchery, but I have used Cackle Hatchery on several occasions and have been satisfied with their birds and service. Three other hatcheries that I have ordered from on several occasions and been satisfied with their birds and service have been Ideal Poultry, Murray McMurray Hatchery, and Dunlap Hatchery. Dunlap is my personal favorite, although I usually advise others to order from the hatchery that is closest to them so that the chicks will not have to travel so far in the mail.

Last edited:
Cackle's chicks they shipped out are great. They were all fiesty, and didn't seem the least bit cold after their long journey. I liked the looks of Ideal, but I think they are too far away from us. I havent ever heard of Dunlap until now. I did a quick search, and they are waaaay too far away, LOL.

Haven't used Cackle yet, but have ordered from Meyers. Several encounters with customer support, all issues were resolved quickly, professionally, and to my satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom