My order arrived from MPC today....

6 chicks with postage cost me $61.00

Wow! I ordered 10 cochins from Ideal and they only cost me $34 and some change. They don't have a minimum chick order but they do have a minimum $25.00 order.​

I hope they have EE's by the July 12th hatch, as half my order (which was $50 for only 6 chicks) is EE!
sad.png
Oh, and MPC ships fewer than 25 chicks express mail, which is why the orders are so pricey. They arrive overnight for me in NY!

Last edited:
MPC uses Meyer (maybe other hatcheries as well, certainly Ideal is possible). I'm sorry you got shorted your Buff! I know how sad that is when you have your heart set on something. Maybe you can find one locally? They are pretty common birds, so maybe someone near you has some. I will say that I have ordered from MPC twice with mixed, but good results. The first time I ordered 15 bantams. They sent no extras and I lost one the first day and then a couple more over the next 2 days. Of the remaining birds, a few had to be rehomed as they were roos. I decided to order again this year from them because they had some breeds I really wanted that are hard to get.

This year's order was better. I ordered 25 chicks. We lost two the first day, but it was horribly hot when they were shipped (100 degrees). They sent several extra birds this year though and all the others have been healthy as can be. I wouldn't hesitate trying them again, especially if you can only do a couple chicks. Did you ask if they can do an order of only a couple chicks as replacements? If they can, maybe you can do that and sell the extras. Just an idea. Good luck!

hugs.gif
im sorry that happened
we used to have a little buff...name was CheesePuff
hmm.png
the dog killed her
but the breeds u got are a bunch of characters!
lau.gif
you'll love them

I wrote MPC to tell them that they could certainly substitute on my July 12th order if needed (I don't want to get shorted on chickies) and they responded very quickly:
--------
Thanks for contacting My Pet Chicken with your concern. The problem with the EEs and the BOs this week was the failure of an incubator, a real tragedy. They were both in the same hatcher. However it shouldn't affect your hatch date of Jul 12, since it didn't have to do with the eggs; it was an equipment failure. As you probably know, hatching eggs is a touchy business, so a very small mechanical problem can mean the eggs don't hatch.
-------

So hopefully those of us with July 12th ships will be OK.
smile.png

So sorry for your loss! I also had an order this week...but they couldn't tell me how soon for my EE's (which I wanted the MOST) so I opted for subs...I got 2 NH reds instead along with a GLW and a Welsummer. Oh well,just goes along with the rest of this week for me! They're cute anyway...VERY active explorers and BUSY!
smile.png

I called MPC today during business hours. They had a hatchery failure this weekend which resulted in the loss of 19,000 chicks, all Orpingtons and EE. I had put "no substitutions" on my order so they did not put in the 6th chick. I did request to delay shipment if my order could not be filled completely. However, they needed to ship what they did have hatch and could not delay every order that contained Orpingtons and EE. I UNDERSTAND THIS. And I do feel awful about their loss. BUT I am still VERY disappointed that my first experience turned out this way. For awhile today I thought about just rehoming the 5 I did get and not bothering to convert the shed and build the run. (And throwing a little temper tantrum since I didn't get what I wanted
he.gif
) BUT then I came home to those 5 little fuzzy butts.....

Please understand, I've raised various birds since I was in high school so I'm usually ok with the disappointment of losing one I really wanted. But I have waited more than a year to get chickens. I made the decision to go the expensive route and get the 6 specific breeds I really wanted and not the "cheap" 25 assortment they offered. (My city code states a maximum of 12 and I couldn't find anyone to take the other 13... even free.) I guess I'm just acting like a spoiled brat because I didn't get what I wanted. AND because MPC only refunded my $3 cost of the chick, so now I'm the sucker that paid $58 for 5 chicks! I just feel really taken advantage of since I've read other peoples' posts that they got what they wanted, a delayed shipment or even free chicks. (I know--get over it already!)

Thanks everyone for listening........being able to vent to everyone has been helpful and I really appreciate all your kind words of concern!
lol.png

Quote:
Yes Ed,
I said I'd be happy to wait. Heck, the coop isn't even started yet. I guess that's what I was so upset about. I was VERY willing to wait several extra weeks to get what I wanted. However, I do understand their point of view. They had all these chicks hatch except for BO and EE's due to a hatchery failure. They had to do something with them. And shipping them to their intended homes was the best solution, even if it was without the missing ones. I'm over my disappointment, it's just my luck that the one week with problems at the hatchery, is the week I chose for delivery! And I can't possibly stay upset when I have 5 of the MOST ADORABLE chics ever!
celebrate.gif

~KimberlyJ

What kind of water bottle were you planning to use? I use the kind with the red "saucer/bowl" that screws onto a quart jar.

I'm PLANNING on using a "rodent" water bottle. You know, like you use for hamsters and rabbits. On the button quail site I belong to alot of people post about using them for their BQ. I have never tried it since my quail are housed with my finches and the finches like to take bathes in their water--I just deal with yucky water bowls to make everyone happy.

I have a really big water bottle from some rabbits we were fostering. BUT so far the little girls can't make the ball inside the tube go up so the water comes out. I am going to continue to try it using the "torture" method you've described.... If it works it will be really cool. I'll let you know.

~KimberlyJ

I got my first set of chicks from MPC too and the one I wanted most was DOA. Since MPC birds are hatchery quality anyway, why not go to a feedstore or petstore and pick up a buff orpington? In this area, the local stores seem to carry EEs and BOs, sex links and barred rocks the most often.

Back
Top Bottom