My Pallet Coop

JDN

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2018
Raleigh NC
Well, yesterday I started collecting and breaking down pallets.

While the pre-fabs look really nice in the store, I couldn't get over my concerns that they wouldn't last very long, and online reviews that they were flimsy as well.

My wife is skeptical. Me? Less So. My plan is a large Hipped roof and minimal siding, using hardware cloth to increase shade and ventilation in the NC Heat. She wants a poop drawer and a nesting box accessible from the outside. I want "chick-shaw" mobility.

I already have the poop drawer laid out.

The challenge will be the nesting boxes accessible from the outside. The goal is to do this for less than $35 excluding Hardware Cloth.

I will post pictures as I progress.

I could do the nesting boxes for no monetary outlay. Since you are using pallet lumber, I assume you have sufficient and free. If you did want to purchase some hardware, a couple of door hinges do not cost much. There are other ways to provide hinged action, like with some scrap heavy duty cloth, vinyl, or leather. If you are budget minded at this time, you can use the inexpensive blue tarps as your water proof roofing material. Will last a year or longer, depending on weather conditions.
As you post some pix, you can receive ideas from peeps here as to how best achieve it. This way you can get more precise answers.:)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Do you have enough wood for a walk in coop?

Roll out nest box with a lid on the outside is a great thing. I built a community box 3' wide and I've seen 4 pullets in there at one time. Usually it's 2-3 in the nest box in the morning.

nbmk3-08.jpg nbmk3-09.jpg

JT

She wants a poop drawer and a nesting box accessible from the outside. I want "chick-shaw" mobility.
Good luck with that ;)
Seriously does the mobility need to be hand powered or can you use a vehicle to move coop?
How many birds do you plan on keeping?

My plan is a large Hipped roof
Could be heavy depending on construction materials..also might not be as conducive to ventilation as a shed or gable roof.

Thanks...I’ve got the drawer all laid out...I’ve been busy all weekend and haven’t been able to work on it. You might be right on the roof. we have 6 chicks right now, 3 hens 3 strait run. square footage is around 20.

As to mobility, I plan to push it. It will be heavy but I’m stout enough it isn’t a major concern.

As to mobility, I plan to push it. It will be heavy but I’m stout enough it isn’t a major concern.
Wheels/tires to match your terrain will be a big help, the bigger diameter the better.
The handle with which you push and steer being lower than you might think can help immensely also.

Wheels/tires to match your terrain will be a big help, the bigger diameter the better.
The handle with which you push and steer being lower than you might think can help immensely also.
Thanks...I'm thinking soccer goal wheels if I can find them.

Back
Top Bottom