My parakeets are trying to kill each other

Quote:
I don't think parakeets need nesting material, they lay their eggs on the bare bottom of the nest. I raised parakeets about 7 years ago and my pair never had nesting material for their nest. Go online and look up breeding budgies, look up if nesting material is needed. I don't think they need it, though.

Country is correct, they do not use nesting materials. Sometimes the hen's bum will molt during the nesting period, and she will use the feathers. So don't worry if her bum is naked *ha*

I've never heard of a male not wanting the female in the nest, especially during mating season. Usually the male feeds the female while she is nesting, going in and out of the box and guarding the entry. Maybe they are confused since they waited so long *haha* If the second nest box doesn't stop the fighting, I would put the male in a separate cage, but keep them where they can see each other.

Good luck and keep us updated! Budgie eggs are so cute!

I just found an egg but they are still trying to kill eachother. I am going to have to move him to a new cage. He won't even let her in the box with her egg. How many eggs do they lay?

When my parakeets mated, the female, of course was on the eggs and the male fed her. The female didn't come out of the box at all! I've got my book and am trying to read up on it.... you may want to busy yourself a parakeet handbook. I had to when my keets mated and I had eggs. I remember them fighting alot. There was blood every where. I couldn't believe that the poor male had any blood left and was still alive! I'll read some more and try and answer your questions....

"These hormones become active only after the female has spent some time in the dark nesting cavity and has been exposed to her mate's song. It is, therefore, extremely important for the successful raising of offspring not only that the female be able to "take over" her nesting box in peace but also that she hear her partner well.
The eggs appear one at a time at intervals of one of two days until there is a clutch of three to five eggs (sometimes more).
The male feeds the female during the entire incubation period. To do so he sits on the perch in front of the entry hole and the female sticks her head out of the hole to have him "stuff" her bill.
You can check to see if all the eggs are fertile, but pereferabley when the female is off the clutch(depostiting her droppings). An infertile egg looks translucent if held up against the light after about 10 days. Fertile eggs show a bluish apaqueness and look a little darker. Remove infertile eggs only if the clutch is large (more than 4 eggs), because the female can probably tell with her brood patches-i.e., almost bare patches with good blood circulation on the breast-when the number of eggs is significantly reduced. Such a change could confuse her enough to make her give up brooding."

Hope this helps some!

Normally, Budgies lay about five eggs. They do not wait to set like chickens, they lay one and set right away and keep laying/setting until around five are laid. The eggs are laid every other day.Chicks will hatch every other day. The female will throw egg shells out of the nest as they hatch. Her chicks won't be the cutest things you've seen, so be forewarned. Babies voices are cute to hear in the beginning, but as they grow they could strain your nerves by every two hours around the clock begging for food from their parents. My pair was in a large flight cage in my living room and all the bedrooms were upstairs. Even with the bedroom doors shut, we could not keep from hearing those loud voices the babies had. We had to listen to them until they were weaned, and I will mention that we had concrete walls and floors/ceilings, 'cause we lived in Public Housing in Norfolk, Va.

Please note this: If something threatens the female or chicks, you will hear a weird alarm call from her/them.

When I raise my Cockatiels and Parakeets I always put into the boxes Peat Moss.

I used it to help out in keeping the eggs from breaking on the wooden floor and for some added insulation from the weather. I raised mine outside in huge flights.

All birds loved having the Peat Moss in the boxes. I lost less eggs to especially with the new parents.

are you 100% sure you have a male and female? You may have two girls and the one that laid the egg is the one keeping the other out of the nest box....

just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom