My parakeets are trying to kill each other

Good thought, Arlee. Make sure you've got a male and female. The males have a blue or purplish cere above their beaks, the female's is white or brown.

Go ahead and separate them, they can kill each other, and quickly!

yes they have a big cage with a nest box and a lot of toys. She has her favorite swing that she loves. I just don't get it. Now they are sitting together on their perch like nothing happened. Like hey I am sorry I just tried to kill you. I can't figure them out. Here's the really weird thing though he goes in the nest box and hardly ever lets her in. Should I get another nest box? I never thought of that.

I bread budgies for quite some time in the late 60's early 70's, I had mostly English. As I remember it sexing budgies is not soley with color of the nose, but with the size of the nostrils and the head conformation, unless budgies have suddenly changed over the past 40 yrs., once they are mature it is easy to see the difference. A high squarish forehead is a male, a rounded head is a female. Most pronounced in the English Budgie. The smaller American Budgie can be more difficult. I have noticed at pet stores budgies of pure quality. (Yes, I know I am a budgie snob, I never showed my birds, but others have. I never had the time.)
A good breeding cage 40 years ago was 18"x12"x 16" with a nest box on the out side. I never had toys in a mating pairs cages. Feeding and grooming each other is not always mating behavior. If they are fighting one minute then friends the next it is because one of them (99% the female) is ready yet. Males can get very aggressive and they have killed the female if she really doesn't like him, it is very rare. They do not like a lot of disturbances, such as daily cleaning when getting amorous. Once the do mate, do not clean their cage often, I cleaned every 2 weeks. To keep commotion down I had a clean staurolite cage pan ready to replace the dirty one, switching as quitly as Possable. I would check brood box once a day at most when feeding and fresh water. Once the eggs hatch, be every careful not to stress them. They will kill their chicks if overly stressed. Check to see that the chicks gullet has food in it. Sometimes if one is weak it will not be feed, or their could be one of the chicks is feed more then the others.

Of course their is a lot lot more.... Books on it. I have over simplified it. And it has been a long time. It was very rewarding, but I had to give it up, we moved to a different state and motherhood.

I bread budgies for quite some time in the late 60's early 70's, I had mostly English. As I remember it sexing budgies is not soley with color of the nose, but with the size of the nostrils and the head conformation, unless budgies have suddenly changed over the past 40 yrs., once they are mature it is easy to see the difference. A high squarish forehead is a male, a rounded head is a female. Most pronounced in the English Budgie. The smaller American Budgie can be more difficult. I have noticed at pet stores budgies of pure quality. (Yes, I know I am a budgie snob, I never showed my birds, but others have. I never had the time.)
A good breeding cage 40 years ago was 18"x12"x 16" with a nest box on the out side. I never had toys in a mating pairs cages. Feeding and grooming each other is not always mating behavior. If they are fighting one minute then friends the next it is because one of them (99% the female) is ready yet. Males can get very aggressive and they have killed the female if she really doesn't like him, it is very rare. They do not like a lot of disturbances, such as daily cleaning when getting amorous. Once the do mate, do not clean their cage often, I cleaned every 2 weeks. To keep commotion down I had a clean staurolite cage pan ready to replace the dirty one, switching as quitly as Possable. I would check brood box once a day at most when feeding and fresh water. Once the eggs hatch, be every careful not to stress them. They will kill their chicks if overly stressed. Check to see that the chicks gullet has food in it. Sometimes if one is weak it will not be feed, or their could be one of the chicks is feed more then the others.
Of course their is a lot lot more.... Books on it. I have over simplified it. And it has been a long time. It was very rewarding, but I had to give it up, we moved to a different state and motherhood.

You do know this thread is 5 years old? :)

roll.png

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

They did the epic roll fighting, (i have 2 nest boxes) i think it's because the female wants to be broody and the male won't let her (destroys eggs, what not)

I took him out for like 3 days and put em back, in the 5 mins he was back guess what he did, he poked her cere and made a hole in it and she started to bleed.

(I have no idea what happened though)

Back
Top Bottom