My Patriot Chicken Coop Build

Rldad1

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
North Alabama
This is my first time to post a thread, so, please forgive me if I screw it up. I am a first time chicken owner but have been around them quite a bit. My daughter has chickens and actually she gave me some of her extra chicks. I decided that I would build a coop and run that would be little Alcatraz in that nothing could get in and nothing gets out. I had hopes of a couple of weeks work and I would be done, bib mistake!! I started this build on 19 July and here it is mid-September and it isn't finished yet. Of course we have had so much rain that I couldn't work on the coop for more than a couple of days a week and at 76 years old I don't move as fast as I used to. Aart suggested I do a build thread, so here goes.

I have a flock of 4 hen and one Roo. The coop is 7' X 7' and the run is 7' X 19" counting under the coop. All of it covered in 1/2" HC. In addition there will be a netted fenced area attached to the run of 15' X 25' so the girls will have a place to safely free range away from the hawks. It will also have electric hot wires around it all. The apron around the base will be 18" of HC and 1" welded wire. All doors for the coop and nest boxes are double latched and raccoon proof (I hope). There is approximately 25 square feet of ventilation around the top of the coop and windows on all sides. Here are my fi

Setting of the poles and base

coop 5.jpg

Walls and Rafters going on.

coop 3.jpg

All of the rafters are tied to the walls by hurricane ties
Coop 2.jpg

Roofing going on. Roof is plywood overlaid with tin and tar paper
coop 8.jpg

Painting and wire started

This is my first time to post a thread, so, please forgive me if I screw it up. I am a first time chicken owner but have been around them quite a bit. My daughter has chickens and actually she gave me some of her extra chicks. I decided that I would build a coop and run that would be little Alcatraz in that nothing could get in and nothing gets out. I had hopes of a couple of weeks work and I would be done, bib mistake!! I started this build on 19 July and here it is mid-September and it isn't finished yet. Of course we have had so much rain that I couldn't work on the coop for more than a couple of days a week and at 76 years old I don't move as fast as I used to. Aart suggested I do a build thread, so here goes.

I have a flock of 4 hen and one Roo. The coop is 7' X 7' and the run is 7' X 19" counting under the coop. All of it covered in 1/2" HC. In addition there will be a netted fenced area attached to the run of 15' X 25' so the girls will have a place to safely free range away from the hawks. It will also have electric hot wires around it all. The apron around the base will be 18" of HC and 1" welded wire. All doors for the coop and nest boxes are double latched and raccoon proof (I hope). There is approximately 25 square feet of ventilation around the top of the coop and windows on all sides. Here are my fi

Setting of the poles and base

View attachment 2329998
Walls and Rafters going on.

View attachment 2329981

All of the rafters are tied to the walls by hurricane ties
View attachment 2329993

Roofing going on. Roof is plywood overlaid with tin and tar paper
View attachment 2329995

Painting and wire started
Here is one last picture taken today
coop 10.jpg

Back