My Patriot Chicken Coop Build

Granddaughter just finished painting the coop logo.
Coop logo 2.5.jpg
Coop Logo 1.5.jpg

She is a fantastic wildlife artist. She did this entire thing in about an hour freehand. She is an environmental science major at the University of Montevallo. She is also doing me a whimsical sign for the coop. I'll post when it is completed.

Build is finally complete. Here are final pictures. Coop 11 picture is the overall showing the cleanout door and poop trays. Last picture is of the Roost and poop trays. There is 25 square feet of ventilation. Every door is multiple locked, the apron is 18 inches of HC and welded wire. There are two nest boxes when the girls start to lay. The coop is 7' X 7' and the run is 7' X 19'. I plan to add a netted free range pen to the tune of about 15 X 25 feet as soon as possible. Chickens arrived from my Daughter's today. They have been there since July when I started this build. For those interested, I used an air compressor and installed the HC with 1 1/2 inch staples. If Brer Raccoon can pull these out I don't want to mess with him. If he's that big then it will .300 mag time! Electric fence goes in with free range pen. Cameras go on next week.

Attachments

• Coop 11.jpg
    Coop 11.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Coop 12.jpg
    Coop 12.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Patriot Coop Roost and Poop Trays.jpg
    Patriot Coop Roost and Poop Trays.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 17
As a precaution I'd apron the outer corners of the run too. Rather than reinstall any of the wire, just overlap some wire mesh over the existing apron, and pin it down.
That's in the plans, unfortunately, the rain caught me before I could get it done. The wire is cut and awaiting dry time. I'm also attaching it to the boards at the bottom for better security.

That's in the plans, unfortunately, the rain caught me before I could get it done. The wire is cut and awaiting dry time. I'm also attaching it to the boards at the bottom for better security.
You can be proud of that beautiful qnd sturdy home for your birds! No matter hiw much planning, there's always something that comes up - keeping things interesting.
I'd keep an eye as the Roo matures, be sure 4 hens are enough for him. If it looks like he's constantly mating them, you may need a couple more. As I found out the hard way with 2 Hens & 1 Rooster

Back
Top Bottom