My Peachicks Of 2014 *** Will Have Lots Of Pictures ***

Thanks everyone!
She's a good mother pea; last night she decided to sit, with her chicks, in the tall grass around the big pecan tree where over a dozen chickens and guineas have been killed by Opossums in the past year. Making her get up, I grabbed her babies and moved them as far away as I could, and momma followed crying for her chick who were crying for her. Glad to see that they are all still alive this morning.

What could be this peachick ?

I would say it's a female : everythings are short ... head, body, legs and fingers.
Black shoulder : color of wingtips is pink !
But what are these gray or brown feathers here and there?
I have no color peafowl .... only bleu + different patterns.

Perhaps IB black shoulder silver pied ... but in one generation ?
Here from Legg"s farm :

a black shoulder silver pied .

Mine will be whiter than this one :

Last edited:
I do not know Dany but it is very pretty as is your hen, i love her coloring
love.gif

My last peacock Master P has started to drop his train, all my girls that are not on a nest have stopped laying except mabe 1 white yearling and perhaps my older pied may lay one more clutch, i am glad it is over once again but the hunt seemed easier this year even though the new building was blocking my view, next year i hope i will be sitting in the greenhouse and watch where they go
big_smile.png

Thanks Zaz!

I have an 8 foot tall woven fixed knot HT fence around 10 acres to keep out deer, and it has 3 x 3 inch gaps from the bottom of the fence to about waist high. From that point upward

it remains 3 inches wide but expands gradually to 3x6 inch. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the Opossums and rabbits squeeze through the 3x3 inch opening and have caught 2

opossums last year after they had already killed several birds over a 2 week period. The rabbits I don't mind, but the opossums have had a devastating effect on my chicken and

guineas population.

Luckily, I haven't noticed any raccoons, which I don't think could fit through the fence gaps, but

would have to climb over to get on my side.

Thanks Zaz!

I have an 8 foot tall woven fixed knot HT fence around 10 acres to keep out deer, and it has 3 x 3 inch gaps from the bottom of the fence to about waist high. From that point upward

it remains 3 inches wide but expands gradually to 3x6 inch. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the Opossums and rabbits squeeze through the 3x3 inch opening and have caught 2

opossums last year after they had already killed several birds over a 2 week period. The rabbits I don't mind, but the opossums have had a devastating effect on my chicken and

guineas population.

Luckily, I haven't noticed any raccoons, which I don't think could fit through the fence gaps, but

would have to climb over to get on my side.

Beautiful photo
love.gif

Coons and possiums can both climb that fence, they don't have to fit threw the gaps. just sayen small gaps will not stop them from going over if they are to big, you need a good guardian dog , your place sounds plenty big and fenced is a hudge bonus if you have close neighbors.

Last edited:
I wanted to show the new banner for my website. It is finally being created and here is the new banner for the top of the main pages. The web guy is removing the white cross thing to the right of the bird if it can be removed. Please tell me what you think?

I like it.

What could be this peachick ? I would say it's a female : everythings are short ... head, body, legs and fingers. Black shoulder : color of wingtips is pink ! But what are these gray or brown feathers here and there? I have no color peafowl .... only bleu + different patterns. Perhaps IB black shoulder silver pied ... but in one generation ? Here from Legg"s farm : a black shoulder silver pied . Mine will be whiter than this one :
Nice looking! -Kathy

[COLOR=0000FF]Thanks Zaz![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]I have an 8 foot tall woven fixed knot HT fence around 10 acres to keep out deer, and it has 3 x 3 inch gaps from the bottom of the fence to about waist high. From that point upward[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]it remains 3 inches[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]wide but expands gradually to 3x6 inch. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the Opossums and rabbits squeeze through the 3x3 inch opening and have caught 2[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]opossums last year after[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]they[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]had already killed several birds over a 2 week period. The rabbits I don't mind, but the opossums have had a devastating effect on my chicken and[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]guineas population. [/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Luckily, I haven't noticed any raccoons, which I don't think could fit through the fence gaps, but[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]would have to climb over[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]to get[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]on[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]my side. [/COLOR]
I read somewhere that coons can get through a 4"x4" hole and I have seen skunks go through 2"x4" welded wire. -Kathy

Back
Top Bottom