My Peacock is moulting already

I guess I got lucky I have 7 girls laying sitting and even hatching wee peas and they are all under the age of 2, some of them layed last year also but not many eggs and they were infertile.

One of my males under 2 has a train with about 30 eye feathers is now dropping his train but he never actively did much breeding this year, my male coming 3 in Aug is the sire to all the wee peas and he is still going strong with a full train.

I was thinking about your young peahens laying eggs before you posted this, and I think your peahens are able to mature so quickly because they get the wonderful benefits of the free-range life. You have shown photos of them all wandering the woods and water. With all of those bugs they must find in the leaves, and the frogs and fish they get in the water, I am sure that helps. Penned peafowl just don't get those sorts of nutrients even with cat food, dog food, etc I still think the free-range food they find is better. My dad's friend sent me some train feathers from his free-range peacocks and I compared them to train feathers of two separate peacocks of mine and noted that the free-range peacock feathers were darker with a lot more different colors...Like pinks, purples, golden-bronze hues, etc. Mine were just a blue green coloration. Also the free-range peacock feathers were thicker and the herl was thicker and more shiney. Of course I guess it also depends on how old the peacock was that the feathers came from...I just thought it was interesting to see the feather difference.

Just curious. I have not had a breeding pair before. But do I understand that when the males start molting they are no longer interested in breeding? So any eggs that may be layed after molt would not be fertile?

Back
Top Bottom