My peacock

Biddy Kay

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2018
I have a peacock who arrived uninvited in my garden, he comes everyday and l feed him to prepare him for the winter. I have nowhere to house him, will he be able to survive if we have a bad winter here in Devon England.
He is molting but should he have white downy feathers showing all the way up his back. His tail feathers are begining to grow but he keeps to be pecking at the white down an awful lot, could this be a sign of mites.

Welcome to BYC! Does he look like this? If so, this is normal, but the pecking at the down could be a sign of lice or mites. Can you catch him and check?
peacock molt_1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: I hope you have luck in the thread @N F C just provided for you! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Welcome to BYC! Does he look like this? If so, this is normal, but the pecking at the down could be a sign of lice or mites. Can you catch him and check?
View attachment 1572488
Oh my! it's just how he looks, so to my relief he may be OK. But l can't catch him to find out for sure, he's very timid yet and not been here very long but when l take his food out he's begining to come a bit nearer to me, in time he'll realise I'm no threat to him then maybe l can get close enough to take a picture. Thank you for your very helpful picture.

Back
Top Bottom