My Peacocks are dying daily and I don't know why

tophatter

Chirping
May 9, 2020
About a month ago I purchased a group of 4 peacocks, 1 peacock, and three peahens (we thought) they were about three months old and from the same hatch. A few days later I received two yearling Peacocks (a breeding pair) I kept them separate but in sight of each other for about 10 days. I then moved them into a big new area built just for them. I kept a close eye and a camera on them. They all seemed to be doing well. They were all eating and growing. This past week I have noticed that the Yearling male has been showing off his tail and really trying to impress his mate. She seems a bit panicked about everything and paces. Then yesterday I did an afternoon check to find two of the young peacocks dead in the back corner of the pen. I immediately checked the cameras but I saw nothing that gave me any information about what happened. The camera is motion activated so I would hope that if there was aggregation I would have seen that. I immediately took the two remaining youngsters to a separate area. Over the night I lost another one. Now I am down to one youngster and the two yearlings. The Peahen (yearling) is now pacing much more than yesterday. If anyone has any information that would save my flock I would appreciate the help.

Are you in a location where the climate is humid and damp? Coccidia in the soil are of many different kinds, and I'm sure peacocks have their own dedicated coccidia. When you have a confluence of newly imported birds and damp conditions, and a cluster of sickness closely followed by death, you should suspect coccidiosis first and immediately treat for it with a coccidiostat. If you're in the US, that would be Corid, found at any feed store.

Back
Top Bottom