My peafowl appear to be eating their own eggs!

SPRING CREEK FARM

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Vanleer,TN
The year before last we had great production from our one pair of peafowl-white peacock and pied peahen. I allowed the peahen to hatch out a late hatch that September-2 pied males & 1 pied female. Then last year-nothing happens. An egg laid here every now and then and then seem to disappear; add to that, I accidentally let out one of the pied males. He hung around for a week or so but I could not get him to go back into their pen, so someone else somewhere has a very beautiful pied male. So, this year, built them a big barn with 12 foot fenced in and on top each side of barn. Eggs are beginning to be laid; no one seems to take notice and I take the first 2 eggs and let my silkie hen set; they have hatched out numerous pea chick eggs in the past. The new barn where 2 pair of peafowl are located is predator proof; mice are being run out right now, but that is It I noticed the 2 males trying to fight one another and wondered if one of the males were pecking and eating the eggs. So far I have lost 3 eggs this way, and there is no other animal housed with my 2 pair of peafowl. I separated my white peacock over the weekend and as of yesterday, 2 more eggs in the new barn with the pied male and 2 pied females are located. They were laid pretty close to one another and then I check today and something pecked thru both eggs and ate the contents again! It must be one of the hens or the pied male, or what else could it be? They are fed the proper game bird diet from our local co-op and of course I give them appropriate treats often. What can I do? I found another newly laid egg late this afternoon and brought it in the house with me to keep it safe. How can I figure this out without wasting another whole season? I bet the same thing was going on last year and I just did not realize it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

check the beaks may see some yolk, they laying under the roost. web cam, bait a egg, or watch out of sight. never had a egg eating peafowl

I feed surplus chicken eggs to my chickens raw and not once have any of my peas ate them and they did look and peck but walked away.
I am betting it was a rat, you could take a chicken egg and place it under something (milk crate) where the peas can not get to but a rat could and see what happens.
Trail cams are great also for finding the culprit.

Hope ya find out whats going on.

Great idea about the milk crate---I have seen squirrels also running up and down the outer poles, in and out near the eaves, but you would not suspect a squirrel or not? I have seen mice, they are being eliminated as I speak, and the stuff is supposed to work on rats too but I have never seen a rat around here, which is probably why I am still alive and able to sit at my laptop right now. We don't have a web cam (not very high tech here) but I will use the milk crate idea tonight! Thanks for a great idea!!!

Usually where you have mice you do not have rats they do not get along in the wild at all.
I am willing to be you got an egg eating squirrel, i have seen them eating eggs on my trail cam.
Off topic a bit but did you know that an armadillo will also eat eggs, caught um red handed with the good, who knew.

Thanks for the info: I have not seen any squirrels in there yet this season; I did sacrifice a few guinea eggs under a milk crate overnight but nothing bothered them.. I still did not get egg this evening either-that is 2 days now that I have not seen a new egg!

Back
Top Bottom