My peepers are here!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mulemom, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    My chicks came yesterday! They weren't supposed to be here til today, but when I got home from camping there was a message from the main post office about 45 minutes away that my chicks were there. They would be at my local post office this morning, but did I want to drive into town and pick them up? Well, of course, I jumped in the car and went and got them! I ordered 25, but got 27. I'm supposed to have 10 RIR's but I only have 9, supposed to have 10 Barred Rocks and 5 Black Aust....something (they looked cool in the picture). I seem to have two mystery chicks. I will post pictures by tomorrow. One is yellow and black and has a little yellow puffball on the top of it's head and is smaller then the others. The other mystery chick is yellow with black stripes on her wings. Any idea's?

All seem to be doing well and for the most part seem very sociable and were eating out of my hand and not having any problem being picked up and held. I introduced my dog to them this morning and she is very interested and excited, but she did good. She licked the RIR I held up for her and it didn't bother the chick at all. The chick promply laid it's head on my hand and went to sleep.

I'm getting things I read all mixed up again, though. I'm not sure what to put in the water. I gave them sugar water yesterday when I got them home and they have drank most of it already. I'm I supposed to put the electrolites in the water now? I have terrramycin too. Am I supposed to put both in the same water? I'm gonna go read the stuff I read before, but I thought I might be able to get a quick answer here.

Thanks!!

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Congrats on the new babies!! I dont know what to put in the water either. I havent put anything in the water and mine seem to be doing fine. I dont know of any reason why you would have to put anything in the water but I am new at this and I could be wrong.
    Kristyne [​IMG]

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    What do you have their water in? A regular poultry waterer is what you need. Don't put an open dish or bowl for them, they could drown.
    The sugar water is fine, you just want to make sure they are drinking. They can arrive and be dehydrated. Don't use the terramycin. People have different ways of doing things, just make sure they have water available and their chick starter for food, 24/7. You could keep using the sugar water or use plain. Others will chime in on what they think is best.
    Your chicks sound great! The little puffball headed is some kind of Polish. If you can post pictures folks could help more in IDing them.
    Happy new chicks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by