My pekin broke her leg

schatze

Songster
12 Years
Feb 25, 2011
My only guess is she was running from a hawk, tripped, and broke her leg as the hawk got one of my smaller ducks. The vet said the fracture is too high up to splint, and truth be told, I don't have the $2,000 for the recommended surgery. We've had Ming's leg stabilized in a wrap for the last two days. The wrap isn't waterproof, and Ming still wants and is able to swim. She still wants to be active.

Has anyone designed a sort of harness that will keep the broken leg in position (in this case, it's up against her body with the bone parts aligned--it was thankfully a very clean break) while allowing freedom of movement of the other leg? All of this wrap on her took three of us half an hour to do, and it isn't waterproof.

My only guess is she was running from a hawk, tripped, and broke her leg as the hawk got one of my smaller ducks. The vet said the fracture is too high up to splint, and truth be told, I don't have the $2,000 for the recommended surgery. We've had Ming's leg stabilized in a wrap for the last two days. The wrap isn't waterproof, and Ming still wants and is able to swim. She still wants to be active.

Has anyone designed a sort of harness that will keep the broken leg in position (in this case, it's up against her body with the bone parts aligned--it was thankfully a very clean break) while allowing freedom of movement of the other leg? All of this wrap on her took three of us half an hour to do, and it isn't waterproof.
Which bone is broken? The femur?

She's only 5. And she isn't letting the leg bother her. The first day she was in visible pain, but now she's like her regular self and takes the pain medication beautifully as needed--she lets me know. She's not a horse with a broken leg.

Yes, it's her femur.
I've tried a couple of times to splint them but didn't have any luck. Maybe if you kept her leg immobilized, and kept her out of water it might set. Talk to your vet about the best way to splint and ask them to prescribe some Meloxicam for pain and swelling.

Back
Top Bottom