My Pekin ducks

Raybon Farms

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2015
Conroe, Tx. Montgomery County
I have a drake and a hen Pekin duck. They are 7 months old and she has been laying for a couple of weeks. Her eggs are as big as my chickens eggs but she did have 2 really big ones that she laid at first. I am feeding them chicken 16% layer feed crumble mixed with chick 20% starter/grower crumble and add chick grit insoluble and have a separated bowl of calcium for them. Am I taking care of them right? We want to get 2 more females that are about their age but I want to make sure I am taking care of them properly. They have a large plastic swimming pool that they swim in all day and have a fence around them that we move very couple of days so they have grass and bug to eat also. They are put in with our chickens at night and I keep a pale of water in there so they can drink if they need to. I also have a tub in with them so they can have fresh water because they get the water in the pool dirty. We live in Conroe, Tx but don't know anyone around our area that has Pekin ducks.

Please let me know if I am doing what is right for them. They are very sweet except the drake like to bite my husband (not very hard) when he gets them out in the morning and puts them up at night. My husband is a big man and it is funny watching him try not to get bit.

Would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thank you in advance,

Bonnie Frank

thumbsup.gif
you are doing a great job!

Thank you so much for your encouragement, it is greatly appreciated.

Now I need some more information. My poor Pekin hen is loosing her feathers on the back of her head and neck due to the drake. He is very gently with her and she lets him know when she is not happy but her neck is not looking good. I worry about things like that.

I want to get 2 more Pekin hens around the same age my hen is which is almost 7 months old. I don't know any one in Conroe, Tx or our area. Does anyone know where I can purchase 2 more Pekin hens. I don't mind driving to get them as long as it is not a really long drive.

We have 39-chickens, 13-chicks, 2-Guinea hens and 1-Rooster named ''The Duke" he is the sweetest little guy and cares for his girls. We also have 6-rabbits, 6-dogs 5-Pekingese & 1-mini Doxie. Needless to say we are very busy but I love every minute of it.

Thanks for your encouragement,

Bonnie Frank
Raybon Farms

Now I need some more information. My poor Pekin hen is loosing her feathers on the back of her head and neck due to the drake. He is very gently with her and she lets him know when she is not happy but her neck is not looking good. I worry about things like that.

I want to get 2 more Pekin hens around the same age my hen is which is almost 7 months old. I don't know any one in Conroe, Tx or our area. Does anyone know where I can purchase 2 more Pekin hens. I don't mind driving to get them as long as it is not a really long drive.

We have 39-chickens, 13-chicks, 2-Guinea hens and 1-Rooster named ''The Duke" he is the sweetest little guy and cares for his girls. We also have 6-rabbits, 6-dogs 5-Pekingese & 1-mini Doxie. Needless to say we are very busy but I love every minute of it.

Bonnie Frank
Raybon Farms

Yes, you will definitely need more hens, but in the mean time, you may have to keep your two separated. I would check Craigslist, or a local Facebook poultry group, and see if you can find some older hens on there.

Bonnie Frank
Raybon Farms
That happens even when you have several females unfortunately.

Yes, you will definitely need more hens, but in the mean time, you may have to keep your two separated. I would check Craigslist, or a local Facebook poultry group, and see if you can find some older hens on there.
x2
be sure to check the Texas thread if you haven't already https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas/40250
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom