My Pekin ducks

Bpopson

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2021
Hello guys... My name is Brandi, I'm new to raising ducks, we got them at Tractor supply, I really don't know how old they were.. guessing 3-6weeks of age.. they have bonded, are inseparable.. freak out if we get one out to care/tend to it... So I believe we have a female (lucky) and a male (quickie). Lucky is all white, with beautiful pure white feathers.. very clean duck(constantly grooming herself), and she has a light peachy colored bill..also, she has a very clear, LOUD quack.
Quickie is white mostly..but he has beige (dirty white, yellowish) on tail, tips of wings, and sum on belly, he had 3 long distinctive black feathers on the tip of his tail, but now has 1, and has 2 feathers on tip of tail that curl back up to his body, he has a real raspy voice..And he has a dark orange colored bill,he doesn't really talk much.. and has the biggest appetite I've ever seen..
and for the most part, they follow each other around, sleep with heads on each other, and are always flirting. Lucky has freckles on her bill, and quickie doesn't.. here lately lucky is showing all the signs of wanting to mate, but quickie isn't interested? And she will pout and throw fits in the water after he gets out...
Lol what do I do? I would love for them to give me ducklings.. any way of enticing them to mate? Videos and pics will be posted.. have a great day!!
They are 5-6 months old

Last edited:
Hello guys... My name is Brandi, I'm new to raising ducks, we got them at Tractor supply, I really don't know how old they were.. guessing 3-6weeks of age.. they have bonded, are inseparable.. freak out if we get one out to care/tend to it... So I believe we have a female (lucky) and a male (quickie). Lucky is all white, with beautiful pure white feathers.. very clean duck(constantly grooming herself), and she has a light peachy colored bill..also, she has a very clear, LOUD quack.
Quickie is white mostly..but he has beige (dirty white, yellowish) on tail, tips of wings, and sum on belly, he had 3 long distinctive black feathers on the tip of his tail, but now has 1, and has 2 feathers on tip of tail that curl back up to his body, he has a real raspy voice..And he has a dark orange colored bill,he doesn't really talk much.. and has the biggest appetite I've ever seen..
and for the most part, they follow each other around, sleep with heads on each other, and are always flirting. Lucky has freckles on her bill, and quickie doesn't.. here lately lucky is showing all the signs of wanting to mate, but quickie isn't interested? And she will pout and throw fits in the water after he gets out...
Lol what do I do? I would love for them to give me ducklings.. any way of enticing them to mate? Videos and pics will be posted.. have a great day!!
They are 5-6 months old

They are 5-6 months old
If you purchased them from tractor supply they most likely were only a few days to a week old maybe two weeks max. I'm guessing that would put them more around 4-5 months old. Pekins are a large breed duck and sexually mature later than many of the smaller breeds. I have heard of Pekins not even laying their first egg until they are almost a year old. Also if your male has black feathers he may not have any Pekin in him or at the very least he is not pure Pekin as Pekins are solid white. Pekins are also not know to be particularly broody although it is always possible. They are still too young to fertilize eggs either way and if you want ducklings from the pair you will more than likely need to purchase an incubator and incubate the eggs. As for mating in general the only thing to do is give them time with them being young. With only one female you might actually end up with your male overmating her so as they mature keep an eye out for signs of her being excessively mated: him pulling feathers from her, bald spot/scabs on your females head, your female limping etc.

Back
Top Bottom