My pekin is gone.. where could he be?!

Unfortunately it doesn't take long for a predator to take off with a duck. I just lost a duck to a fox. There was no evidence - no feathers - nothing. The only way I knew was because we have cameras set up. When I couldn't find her, I told my husband to look at the footage. Sure enough a fox came into our yard. Took my girl just 15 min before I went out to put them to bed. I was late getting out there too. :he
My other ducks were fine. However, the fox was in our yard for about 5 min terrorizing the ducks until he was able to corner one and I never heard a thing.
Hopefully your duck shows up.
I've kept my ducks locked up for almost 2 weeks now. Only allowing them out when I'm out too. Also, the fox came back the very next morning, but they were all locked away so it didn't stick around.
I have a baby monitor set up to hear what is going on outside. My ducks start quacking loudly when something is out there. They see it before I do. They will also run home, so I leave the door open. Also, we have heavy woods here as well as all kinds of predators. A friend also told me that if you have a red light in there coup predators will stay away at night. So far so good here, since I have a string of multicolored led Christmas lights strung up. Where they sleep is completely enclosed with hardware cloth, sides, top and bottom. Their play yard is enclosed sides and dug into the ground with hardware cloth and metal roof. I have a mannequin I purchased on Amazon for 40 dollars to hopefully keep bears away. I guess it could be overkill, however I do worry about them getting hurt or taken. I guess, I'm an over protective duck mom.😊😊

4844DADA-1D70-47D9-AD3E-66DDFE4BC063.jpeg

Put these on your fences. Also, if you have dogs out their poop in your property line. When I pick up their poop I put it in a box or paper bag and leave it at the wood line. There use to be a lot of raccoons and coyotes here but since I started doing that I haven't seen any...knock on wood!!

Back
Top Bottom