My pekin is gone.. where could he be?!

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
I have a pekin drake about a year old and I’ve been keeping me drakes and hens separated, so last night my drakes were outside and they spent the night out of the coop (like they usually do) and today my Daisy Duck was gone! The other two boys were normal and sitting by the coop and daisy my pekin drake was gone. I looked everywhere he usually is and he isn’t there! He is okay with leaving the coop for water and walking around (my other drakes stick by the coop) but I looked everywhere and I can’t find him😭 no mess of feathers so I don’t think he was took but maybe😭 he is my favorite duck so this is sad for me. I thought he’d come back but he hasn’t come back yet. Maybe I’m over reacting. But I rlly need to find my drake. Any ideas on how to bring him back or lure him back? Thx for any advice

Oh man! That is awful!! I’m so sorry! I’m keeping mine locked up for now. Our neighbors have had a bear hanging around lately.. I just never thought a bear would get a duck..😢I am so sad about my boy. He was the only pekin I had, and I ordered him ladies and they were coming in just less than 2 weeks!😭😫:hit

4844DADA-1D70-47D9-AD3E-66DDFE4BC063.jpeg

Put these on your fences. Also, if you have dogs out their poop in your property line. When I pick up their poop I put it in a box or paper bag and leave it at the wood line. There use to be a lot of raccoons and coyotes here but since I started doing that I haven't seen any...knock on wood!!

Unfortunately it doesn't take long for a predator to take off with a duck. I just lost a duck to a fox. There was no evidence - no feathers - nothing. The only way I knew was because we have cameras set up. When I couldn't find her, I told my husband to look at the footage. Sure enough a fox came into our yard. Took my girl just 15 min before I went out to put them to bed. I was late getting out there too. :he
My other ducks were fine. However, the fox was in our yard for about 5 min terrorizing the ducks until he was able to corner one and I never heard a thing.
Hopefully your duck shows up.
I've kept my ducks locked up for almost 2 weeks now. Only allowing them out when I'm out too. Also, the fox came back the very next morning, but they were all locked away so it didn't stick around.

Oh man! That is awful!! I’m so sorry! I’m keeping mine locked up for now. Our neighbors have had a bear hanging around lately.. I just never thought a bear would get a duck..😢I am so sad about my boy. He was the only pekin I had, and I ordered him ladies and they were coming in just less than 2 weeks!😭😫:hit
Bears do a lot of damage to coops. They definitely eat ducks and chickens. I'm not sure if bears are graceful enough to leave with one duck and no evidence. But, if you have bears, you definitely have other predators in the area. I would guess your structure needs to be like for Knox to keep bears away.

Back
Top Bottom