My pet bird has a prolapse while laying egg how do I prevent it from happening again ?

Tahera

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
I have two lokkha pigeons. This breed is more like chickens . Both of them are females and lay eggs . One has a prolapse problem while laying egg two weeks ago . Now she has recovered with some herbal and homeopathy treatments. But she wants to lay eggs again . Is there any way to discourage her from laying eggs ? I am afraid she will prolapse again . Where I live ( Bangladesh) we don’t have good vets for birds .

Shezadandy

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
I have two lokkha pigeons. This breed is more like chickens . Both of them are females and lay eggs . One has a prolapse problem while laying egg two weeks ago . Now she has recovered with some herbal and homeopathy treatments. But she wants to lay eggs again . Is there any way to discourage her from laying eggs ? I am afraid she will prolapse again . Where I live ( Bangladesh) we don’t have good vets for birds .

Hm. I don't know anything about pigeons specifically however light plays a very active role in chickens laying eggs. If you have a way to limit the amount of light she's exposed to in a day, you may be able to impact her laying, but I'm guessing you keep them together, so the environment you set will be for both of them.

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
5 Years
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
Does she have access to calcium such as crushed oyster shell?
I use homeopathy also and I am curious which remedy you used for prolapse? :)

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
This is a problem that I have never dealt with. I am assuming that they are a mated female pair ? If so allowing them to set on/brood the unfertilized eggs will extend the period between nesting and relaying. I would decrease her feed if she appears to be overweight, provide calcium/vitamin supplementation. Decreased day light period may also help as might separating the pair. Separating the pair might very likely create a new set of problems.

Top Bottom