My pet bird has a prolapse while laying egg how do I prevent it from happening again ?

Tahera

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
I have two lokkha pigeons. This breed is more like chickens . Both of them are females and lay eggs . One has a prolapse problem while laying egg two weeks ago . Now she has recovered with some herbal and homeopathy treatments. But she wants to lay eggs again . Is there any way to discourage her from laying eggs ? I am afraid she will prolapse again . Where I live ( Bangladesh) we don’t have good vets for birds .

I have two lokkha pigeons. This breed is more like chickens . Both of them are females and lay eggs . One has a prolapse problem while laying egg two weeks ago . Now she has recovered with some herbal and homeopathy treatments. But she wants to lay eggs again . Is there any way to discourage her from laying eggs ? I am afraid she will prolapse again . Where I live ( Bangladesh) we don’t have good vets for birds .

Hm. I don't know anything about pigeons specifically however light plays a very active role in chickens laying eggs. If you have a way to limit the amount of light she's exposed to in a day, you may be able to impact her laying, but I'm guessing you keep them together, so the environment you set will be for both of them.

Does she have access to calcium such as crushed oyster shell?
I use homeopathy also and I am curious which remedy you used for prolapse? :)

This is a problem that I have never dealt with. I am assuming that they are a mated female pair ? If so allowing them to set on/brood the unfertilized eggs will extend the period between nesting and relaying. I would decrease her feed if she appears to be overweight, provide calcium/vitamin supplementation. Decreased day light period may also help as might separating the pair. Separating the pair might very likely create a new set of problems.

Back
Top Bottom