My Pet Chcken or Meyers?

Hepcat

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Hello all! I am in Massachusetts, and have finally found a neighbor who is crazy enough to want to split a very small order of chickens with me! She wants 2-3, I want 3-4....I am thinking of ordering direct from either My Pet Chicken, or Meyers, sometime later this spring. I was just curious....My Pet Chicken is not a hatchery....do they simply go through Meyers? Does anyone know what hatchery they use? The nearest feed store to me uses Mt Healthy, but they have a very limited breed selection.

I guess I am thinking, the feed store chicks have to be shipped and handled, then picked up and driven half an hour home by me. It's no more stress to have them shipped direct; the PO is only ten minutes from my house. Since only two online hatcheries seem to ship in really small quantities, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying My Pet Chicken to be a middle man, so to speak. I don't mind spending the extra small order shipping charge, my neighbor and I will most likely split it.

My second question would be in regard to breeds...a WWYD? The Golden Buffs at Meyers seem to get rave reviews. I would like a bird with a calm, friendly temperament, who is a decent egg layer, and does well in the cold temps of New England. But....I'll confess...after lurking on this site, looking at all your pictures of beautiful birds...I'm finding them a little "drab", LOL!

I love the pictures of the Meyers Amerucanas....but not sure how their temperaments are. Anyone have any from Meyers or My Pet Chicken? Its not so much the colored eggs I care about; just wondering if they are decent layers, and are friendly. I looked on the Henderson's Chart and it says most hatcheries are selling Easter egger mutts, whose temperaments vary. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations for me, or could share their own experience.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer!

I love Meyer I am pretty sure My pet chicken gets most of its chicks from them. My favorite breed and they are very docile and cold hardy and decent layers are Faverolles and Cuckoo Marans and EE's I have all three from Meyer the colored egg basket is great. I have some pictures of the birds from meyer for you.

Here is a faverolle girl
DSCF1410.jpg

Here is my with a fav girl and some non meyer Marans chicks they are so friendly I may order more.
DSCF1780.jpg

Here are my cuckoo Marans girls
P1070072.jpg

Here is my EE hen RIP (hawk attack)
DSCF1280.jpg

Here is the sample of eggs I get from my flock
DSCF1364.jpg

DSCF16071.jpg

Good Luck with your order I ordered 8 chicks from meyer one was a rooster and I sent him away with one hen and had 6 now I am up to 17 chickens from all different places. Welcome to the addiction
big_smile.png

Henry

Ohh, the Faverolle is so pretty! I read on the Hendersons chart that the fancy feathering may not be protective enough in bad weather???, but they were cold hardy. So I was hesitant about choosing them.

I love the fact that the EE come in such a variety of interesting colors. I have been searching the archives, and one poster did post pictures of her Golden Buffs from Meyers, and how calm and friendly they were. Its really a tough decision. The more feedback I get, the better

Thanks for sharing the pics, the birds are beautiful.

matt y. :

Are the maran eggs in the pick meyer marans?

Yep the second pic is the begining of the laying cycle and the ones in the carton are towards the middle of the laying cycle.

Henry​

I just tried to check out mypetchickens.com. This does'nt seem to be a website. Did I get the website correct? I should say this website comes up, but what do you select after that? I am having troubles getting to the place that you can buy as few as 3 chicks. Where do I find this information?
sandyj

Last edited:
Quote:
Believe me Faverolles are very hardy....I used to have a flock of them before I sold them. They weathered thru the winters without any problems and they go out in the rain and so forth, not a problem either.

Quote:
Thanks yes they are my hardiest breed they free range and run around and forage more then my other hens they are so sweet and curious to.

Back
Top Bottom